Brunch from hell

"Warren you are going to get fired it you don't go to work. Let go." I said trying to pry myself away from his strong hug. He called off work the last few days and it's not going to end well if he doesn't at least go in for one shift.

"How about we could go get something to eat on my break." He mumbled into the kiss he was giving me. He pulled away from the quick peck and gave me the puppy dog eyes. He is the only person who could make me give in so fast.

"Fine, but don't ever use those eyes again." He smirked before pulling me in for another bone crushing hug.

"You know you were never this clingy before." I said while giggling.

"Well I didn't want you to think I was creepy, you were not my girl yet." He then slowly conjoined our hands.

"But now your my girl" he explained and then brought the back of my hand to his soft gentle lips.

Only he can make my stomach fill with butterfly's by some simple words. I'm afraid I might be falling too hard.

"Ok love birds that's enough, I want to vomit in my mouth." Brooks said while swatting is out of his way.  We rolled our eyes and parted, and Ren made his way out the door before Brooks could complain again.

I turned around and walked my way into the kitchen to find Brooks sitting on one of the bar stools eating some of the waffles I made.

"So what are you up to today, mr grumpy pants." I said, bumping him with my elbow while passing by. He grumbled and shrugged his shoulders.

"Nothing that concerns you." He voiced in an annoyed tone.

I was taken back by his bluntness, but I just brushed it away. He seems off  and not like himself, he seems on edge. I sat down next to him and sipped on my cup of coffee.

"You know I'm here for you right? I will just listen if you want, no questions.  But only if you need." I said but the silence quickly came as soon as it left.

He sighed deeply and pushed away his bowl before laying his head down. "My family wants me to come over for a fancy brunch, and you know how they are, all they will talk about is my horrible life choices. Don't forget the comments on my "life style" and how they won't get any grandkids." He said in a tired tone.

His family have never been supportive of him, in anything really. I remember him coming over to my house in tears asking to spend the night because he was fighting with his parents. Brooks never really liked to talk about it with any of us. He always kept to himself and I know that if he keeps all to himself it will end up ruining him.

After high school his parents cut most ties with him and let him figure college out by himself. At the start of last year he was struggling really bad, he didn't have money, and didn't have any where to stay on breaks. so my mom decided that she would help him with the money and basically took him in as one of her own. As selfish as it sounds I was jealous of the attention that my mom was giving him. I was in a bad place then but she didn't even seem to notice none of them did. But she made sure Brooks was okay, and that he felt loved.

Don't get me wrong I was glad that my family took him in, he needed it. I could never resent him or blame him for what I felt. I was selfish and I guess ever since then I have been trying to push my emotions aside and make it up to him. Even though I didn't let it show, I was still jealous, and I'm going to fix it even if he doesn't know about it.

Every holiday away from college he spent at my house with my family. It wasn't till he saved up enough money did he move in with the boys.
During all of this Brooks and Alex got closer than ever, partly because they had to share a room but also because Alex was there with him every step of the way. I'm just glad that he has someone he will let loose with and can be comfortable around.

"I can't stand to be around those sufferable people for even a minute let alone a day. I wish Max wasn't working, I always bring him as a buffer. He always has a way to charm them with his politeness and whatever. If you ask me it's sickening, my family is made up of fake people." He said while tugging at his hair in frustration. We sat there with both of us deep in thought.

"Just know you don't have to go if you don't want to." I reassured him while placing my hand on his and giving it a little squeeze.

"Yeah, I do. It's for grandma Jules' birthday. She was the only one who stayed in contact with me. Apparently she hasn't been doing good since I left." He stressed. His grandma was the only one who supported him, and stood up for him. I remember him calling her often to check on her. But I guess she hasn't taken the separation well.

Let's just say that Brooks' mother wasn't the best, and that his grandma basically raised him. She is great I remember meeting her for the first time. She tried to set him up with Alex. I remember both of their faces turning so red, but Alex laughed off the suggestion and said how they were good friends. She is always trying to find him someone, and she is persistent about it, I find it adorable.

But her daughter is not the same as her. Brooks' mom is not the most friendly person, neither is his older sister. I remember when I first met them they thought that I was Brooks' girlfriend, and boy did they rip me a new one.

They said how it would be a disgrace for someone like me became part of his family. And that he was only trying to publicly humiliate them. As you could guess that really didn't help the little self confidence that I have.

I have never heard Jules use such foul language then in that moment. She really came to my rescue and told them that they are the disgrace to the family. That was the last day I had ever seen them, I tried to keep my distance for mine and Brooks' sake.

I can't let him go in there by himself with no form of buffer. Those people can be brutal with their ridicules and cruel comment. Brooks is my family and family goes down together no matter what, if they hurt him they hurt me too. As much as I hate his mother and sister, my love for him is greater and I can make it through one afternoon.

"I can go with you as a buffer. You know I can be charming when I want to be." I offered. His eyes widened and looked at me as if I was crazy. Right now I'm wondering the same thing.

"But they were so cruel to you last time. I don't want you to have to go through that." He explained.

"No, I can't let you go through that pain either, so I will go with you. You are my family and family sticks together." I explained.

He smiled and mumbled a thank you while pulling me into a big hug. "You know you are the best little sister I never had. Thank you." He mumbled into my hair.

I squeezed him tighter in response. I hope this isn't a total disaster. So then I pulled apart and held him at arms length apart.

"So what should I wear to this fancy brunch from hell"