Chapter Nine

It was her. He was sure it was.

Angry as he was about his sister Leila going off the rail and facing a PR disaster due to the issue he had with her.

He was just glad she had not accepted any interviews yet.

He pulled out the files containing the research they had done on her from the empty seat beside him. 

He looked through it quickly and the last part caught his attention. 

"Why is she there tonight then?" He whispered to himself. 

"sir, is everything alright?" His assistant asked from the front of the car. 

"Arrange a call with the minister of Finance " He said while looking at the detail in document that got his attention. 

                                                             **********************

"Good evening sir, welcome home" a neatly dressed staff said as she opened the door for them to come in. Remi held on to Chima's hand as he led her inside.

"Son" His mom said as she stretched her arms out to hug him. 

He walked into her arms "Mom, You look young as ever"

"oh stop it" she said breaking off their embrace to look at Remi who stood behind him with hands gripping unto her purse "and who do we have here"

"Mom, this is Remi. Remi this is my Mother" He said with pride and a smile as he looked from one woman to the other. 

"I see. How are you?" she said stretching her hand out to Remi. She shook her hand 

"Its so nice to finally meet you ma, I have heard so much about you"

"Hmm, I haven't heard enough about you" she clapped back "come, everyone is waiting "

she turned away and led them out of the reception. Her black dress sweeping against her body as Remi didn't know how to feel about the last thing she said. What did she mean. 

She looked at Chima worriedly but he gave her a look that she interpreted as "its nothing". She tried to smile it off  but there was now a nut in her tummy that wouldn't let her put her guard down. 

Chima took a chair out for her to sit down, she looked at him lovingly to say thank you before sitting down but then someone sat in the chair. 

Remi looked at him shocked then at her and then at his father. 

"Hey brother" The girl said with a smirk before hugging him by the waist. she looked up at Remi 

"sorry" The girl said 

"Sorry, this is my sister Manda"

"its fine" Remi said before she pulled out a chair for herself. 

They ate in silence for 30mins. They exchanged awkward stares from time to time especially when a new course was brought to the table. 

Remi felt like she was being watched so she focused on her food and smiled whenever she looked up from her plate. She pretended not to notice the soft whispers and piercing gazes her way but chose to focus on Chima's smile and his hand that held on to hers under the table. 

A man in black suit came in and whispered something to his father. Everyone's attention was drawn to the interaction between the two men. His face lighted up "Really" he said excitedly before jolting up as quickly as he could "Follow me"