Chapter Eleven

Remi jumped to a sitting position and scurried over to the other edge of the bed.

He stood majestically in front of one of the three floor to ceiling high windows. He backed her  and she felt like she had the opportunity to run "You have so much guts and I actually envy you" He said as he turned a little to look at her. He had a smirk on and within a second it disappeared like it was never there.

He stared out the window again. Remi stretched to look out the window as well. How did she get here and what was he looking at.

There was nothing. Just a beautiful field of well trimmed grasses and someone riding a horse across it. 

Is she still even in Nigeria? she thought as she looked outside. the air was clean and so was the view.

"How did I get here? What have you done to me" She said as she remembered to look under the blanket to ensure she was fully clothed. She pushed her dress against her  vagina to see if she would feel any faint pain from manipulation. Nothing.

She was still wearing her green dress from last night so she dragged the duvet to her neck to further protect herself.

He took a sip of his drink.

"How much did you ask for?"

"How did I get here?"

"How much did you ask for?" He asked again slowly as he turned  to look at her. He was loosing his patience as he clenched his hands but heaven knows his voice didn't let it show

"I don't know what you are talking about" she said as she prepared to stand up "I need to leave, my parents..."

"HOW MUCH DID YOU ASK FOR?" He demanded angrily making Remi sit back on the bed. His voice echoed back in her mind as she trembled with fear while trying to effortlessly seem brave.

He looked at her with hatred and she looked at him with fear as a tear rolled down her eyes.

*********************************************************************************

"How is mom doing now" Chima asked. He was scared for her life and he could not hide it in his voice as he spoke to his dad.

"She is fine, she is eating now"

"Okay, I am handling everything else, Dad" He said "Just make sure she's okay"

"Hmmm...Be Careful"

He hung up and hit the stirring wheel severally as he drove on the highway. He screamed on top of his voice to let some frustration out.

He took in deep breathes as the events of the night before ran through is mind.

He searched for her last night. Soon as he noticed she was gone he searched the house for her, her text came in and he panicked.

He rushed out of the house angrily, driving as fast he could around the estate. He asked about her at the gate and had been told she hadn't come by the gate. He asked for a CCTV copy and they told him he couldn't get one as it is the exclusive property of the Adegeshin family. Part of the Terms and Conditions of living here

"Madness" He thought.

Sometimes he felt like they were better off living on the, mainland with the average wealthy and middle class. There, they would have more power rather than this so called exclusive islander society he felt like he was in a cult and his family were at the bottom of the chain.

Despite their net worth he felt very poor each time he drove into the estate

"If you want your generations to rule the world one day, here is where you start from. People have killed and sold their souls to the devil living in the castle down the road" His father once said to someone over the phone while he sat next to him as they drove past the first gate of the Adegeshin estate property. One couldn't even see the palace like Victorian building from the second gate.

He has been in once and he could remember driving past the acres of freshly mowed grass and the beautiful field of gardens.

After he had drove into the city, looking left to right to see if he would catch a glimpse of her. He stopped the car abruptly when a cat jumped into the road and ran across the road.

The car jerked forward and then back as he followed suit.

The rush calmed him down as he watched the cat run into the bush.

"She never left, they wouldn't have let her leave" He made a quick U-turn and drove back to the estate.

By the time he arrived, A new set of security had resumed their shift.

He drove down the streets quickly and drove into their drive way sharply.

His mom was at the door. Her hand gripping her chest and the other stretching a letter out.

He snatched it from her and read through it.

"Why would they do this?" She said as she cried "What have we done? How can they offer the marriage and take away so much?"

It was sort of an eviction notice to an outsider but in reality it was murder.

They were threatening to take everything from them. To send them out of the Islander society was to evict them from high society and life. Only five families have been exiled and they have had to leave the country and create some sort of new identities.

They just don't let you walk away, they ruined the reputation of a family so much that one of the patriarchs of one family had gone to prison on a life sentence and another committed sucide.

They do it so that one is unable to expose any deal or interaction they have had with any member of the Islanders society. A DND wasn't good enough to keep their secrets safe.

"Everything I have sacrificed has been for what?" His father said as he walked into their foyer. His breathing heavy as every word chocked him

"I will marry her" Chima said as his parents turned to look at him.

It was 3am in the morning and they well knew that everything was on a timer for the 8 0'clock news.

His father eyes flew open. Chima could see tears form in his eyes.

"My son" He said as he swiftly moved towards Chima. He held him by the arms "Thank you"

He walked away and his wife followed suit.

By 08:00am in the morning, He and his family would have become social outcasts.

He needed to find a way to reach him as soon as possible.