Chapter 23

'Remi what's happening'

' Wasn't this all part of your plan'

'There wasn't a plan Remi' he said firmly

'So you just did what he said without knowing what would happen to me, to my family'

'Remi, I just wanted you safe. He didn't say anything about this show you have on. He offered your safety and that was good enough for me'

"You could have had my family killed'

'I love your family as much as I do mine and I would never have done anything to put them in danger'

'but you did, you put them in danger, you put me in danger and You didn't even try for, for.... Was I not worth fighting for'

' we would only have made matters worse, he would have stopped at nothing to find us'

'Tobi wouldn't have' she tried to say before he stopped her

'Not him'

Remi knew better now, he was referring to grandfather.

'As much as it threatens my existence, I would rather see you alive with another man, Remi, than watch you die'

They stood in silence as Remi took in the statement he had just made. Chima had been suicidal in the past. 

Remi noticed Tobi walk into the garden, he stood with his hands in his agbada pockets as he and Chima's eyes met

''We should have at least tried' Remi said looking into his eyes one last time before walking away.

She walked up to Tobi who then took her hand and led her out of the garden.

She promised herself not to cry in preparation to watch the man she loved marry someone else.

***************************************************************************************

They announced him in and he held on to her hand as he was led to the head table. Waving and greeting people as he made his way to the high table. 

He released her hand to draw the chair out for her, smiling at each other before he placed a kiss on her cheek as she sat down. She tried not to focus on the level of attention they got from the occupants of the large hall as the large screen displayed what was happening between her and her husband-to-be before tuning to a picture of the bride and groom.

The host of the wedding announced the proceedings of the wedding as Tobi typed away on his phone. 

She was glad she wasn't able to discuss anything that could tarnish the purpose of what they were doing. The tabloids were crazy  Ellen had said "Asabi the singer's lips were read on TikTok and she wasn't saying very nice things about the jews." 

He announced the bride and groom before They walked in smiling and beaming. Until their eyes met and chima's smile turned upside down.

She looked away quickly as Chima's eyes remained on her. The news will come out eventually and she couldn't give them any evidence from this wedding that they still had any sort of longing feelings that were captured in a moment like that of king Charles with Camilla on his wedding day to Queen Diana.

She felt Tobi's hand rub against her back softly. Was he soothing her as he gestured his thumb up and down?