Chapter 46

Before Timi left that day, Ophelia went back to sleep and did not wake up for another week.

She decided she wanted to get out of the basement and into the sitting room. Despite Tobi's protest, he gave in. Remi admired how he was cherishing the grace of time he had with Ophelia.

Remi helped her loosen her hair and make it into two plaits as they watched tv in the living area before going on an errand for Tobi's mom.

She and Tobi had left the house separately in the morning. Neither of them wanted to leave Ophelia.

Remi fought the urge to express how she missed him when they ran into each-other in the foyer, his touch, his kisses, everything about him. He had retreated back into his shell and she couldn't find away to get through to him. Remi's nights were lonely and she needed them to talk things out.

He placed a kiss on her cheek 'Let's go on a date tonight. Just you and me and our baby' he said with a smile Remi returned. She was glad he thought of them 'I have got to take this' she watched him walk away as his phone rang.

--------------

Later that afternoon, Remi looked out the window as the car drove into their driveway. She watched as someone climbed to the end of the stairs and looked back as a maid opened the door for them

'What is she doing here' remi said as she sat up in her seat. She packed up her bag as she did not want to spare any minute more in the car after it stood still. 'Thank you'

Remi swung the door open as the motion of the car slowed to stop. 'Laila!' She yelled as she waited for the full halt of the car before stepping down. She watched as the maid let her in.

Remi's mind panicked at the thought of Laila aggravating Ophelia. She rushed up the stairs and cursed at the unnecessary need for so many grand stairs just for the show of wealth. The damned stairs has not come in handy in the past days. If anything it made her consider talking to Tobi about redesigning the front of the house.

Remi knew Laila heard her but chose to push past the maid to get in because she saw when the maid stepped out to see who had shouted and once she noticed Remi she ran down the stairs to meet her midway.

'Why did you let her in, why....where is Sarah' Remi said hurriedly as they rushed up the stairs together.

'Sarah is in the foyer that's why I ran down to help you ma'am. I know miss Sarah can stop her. I am sorry ma'am she pushed me' the girl said almost at the brink of tears.

'I bet she did...it's fine. I will sort it' remi said as she internally cursed at the heels she was wearing under the tailor fitted dress she had on. 'Take my bag'
Remi handed her bag over and raised the bottom of her skirt up to climb better.

She entered the foyer as Laila was making a turn towards their living room where she was sure Ophelia was

'Laila' remi yelled again hoping she decides not to ignore her again

'Ma'am' sarah said trying  to stop remi

'She should be the one you should be trying to stop not me' remi said as fast as she could as she brushed past her, irritated by how calm she could be in this situation, knowing how furious it would make Tobi if he knew that she came face to face with Ophelia in her  current state.

Laila might just make a spectacle of her, pry on her vulnerability.

Remi did not have time to dwell in her bias towards Laila but remembered to put a pin it. How did she now see Laila so differently than she did when she met her.

'Where is she' Laila turned to say loudly as remi walked into the living room with Sarah behind her.

' what are you doing here Laila' Remi said as she tried all her best to hide her feelings from showing on her face, her worry about Ophelia and Tobi.

'Good day to you too, Remi' she said with a smirk

Remi's worry no longer mattered as she heard Tobi's footstep behind her and watched as Lailas confidence drain off  her face.

She turned to look at his face. His jaw tightened and his sleeves were rolled up. His day must have been worse than hers. He took in a deep breathe and walked away towards the open plan kitchen  'what are you doing here laila' he said calmly. He was too tired to even express how he truly felt. He opened the fridge to get a juice pack and picked up a cup from a drawer and placed them both on the counter. Her lack of answer made him raise his head to look at her, finally giving her the attention she wants.

Remi watched as Laila tried to gather her words before squaring up her shoulders.  'Welll...'

She was older but anyone could tell he made her feel like she wasn't.

Remi wondered if there was a tiny piece of him that wished it was laila and not Ophelia.

'I heard what happened and came to see Ophelia to wish her well'

He scuffed as he poured himself a drink 'you've never wished her well' he said back deadpan

'I know we have our difference but I would never wish her dead' she said and remi gasped as Tobi paused and looked up at her slowly.

Laila raised her eyebrow and dropped them. Remi believed in that moment she knew Tobi knew about what she did as a teenager. It was obvious she didn't have any thought that he had a clue.

'Laila, you  are here' Ophelia said as she sluggishly walked in 'I am so happy to see you, I have been asking about you from Sarah'

'You have ?' Laila said awkwardly as she looked from face to face. Even the maids were surprised at what ophelia was saying as one of the maid ran to help her. Their enmity was well known in the Islander society. Right next to that of the two opposing main families.

Ophelia led the maid towards Laila who was progressing towards them as well. Ophelia wrapped her hands around laila and hugged her as the room fell silent.

Remi looked at Tobi who's struggle to keep his face unfazed seemed useless as even the toughest of them couldn't hide their suspicion of what was happening

'Are you okay' laila said as she broke off the hug

' well I did get shot' Ophelia said before bursting into laughter 'ouch'

' it's time for your dressing ma'am' a nurse who had walked in while everyone's attention was distracted said

'Yeah, okay....don't leave laila, promise me, we have so much to catch up on'

'Yeah of course I promise' laila said slowly as she helped Ophelia stand up

'She is such a lovely person' Ophelia said to the nurse about laila as they walked away. The maids followed suit leaving Laila, Remi and Tobi who finally let himself take his drink.

Once Ophelia was out of sight Laila said 'is she taking a piss' drawing their attention to herself

'You really think of all people to pretend to like, Ophelia would choose you?' Tobi said in his deep voice before walking  towards the sliding door of the patio. He needed some fresh air ' Laila, put yourself in her shoes'

Laila scoffed and walked away, stopping as she almost exited the living room ' I just came on grandfathers behalf anyway, take care and we should go shopping soon, Remi' she smiled before leaving without acknowledging her brother who reciprocated her action.

Remi was exhausted. She needed a break but her mind still wondered if their dinner plans were still on as she watched him lean on the beam of the patio of their chateau style home