Chapter Ten

She stopped walking, stood and looked at the gate. She turned around and admired the beauty of the scenery despite the darkness it was consumed in. How is she supposed to get home?

A car drove past her and stopped at the gate. She continued to head towards the gate.

"Ma'am" The man in suit from earlier said "Do you need help with something?"

"No, I just need to leave" She said. A police type car turned on its siren as it approached the gate where she stood.

"I am sorry but I can't let you leave"

"What do you mean I cant leave?"

They both waited for the driver to park the car. Two men in suit came out from the car.

"Good evening, Ma'am" One of the men said "My name is Anthony and this is my partner Akeeb and we are Officers of the Islanders police force"

He flashes a barge.

"Is this some kind of sick joke....Islanders police force. You guys are kidnappers aren't you?" Remi's voice trembled and she took a few steps back

"I do apologise Ma'am but for security reasons we cant let you leave" Akeeb said "As you aren't leaving with the Host you arrived with or their service...we would need to carry out investigations to make sure everything is alright"

"I didn't steal anything if that's what you are insinuating"

"We didn't mean you any offence we are just doing our jobs"

"It is also for your own safety. It is impossible to find any form of transportation to take you to the Island for at least 20miles. Once we carry out our investigation we will aid your safe travel home"

"This has to be Illegal" She said unmoving from where she was

"If you refuse to come with us we would have to use force. We are happy to provide you with a lawyer if you do decide to take this to court"

"As anyone ever won a case against your force?"

"You would be surprised to know you are the first person this as ever happened with" Anthony said as he opened the back seat of the car for her "We are a very small community and we have a lot of rules"

"Which one did I break?" Remi asked as she settled herself in the back seat after the two men got into the car and adjusted their sit belts.

"Suspicious Loitering" Akeeb said

Remi sat back in the car. She turned on her phone. They were missed calls from her parents and Chima.

She texted Chima and Jadesola "I have been kidnapped"

**********************************************

"Make sure to come visit us at the new house...hmmm" Remi's mom, Yeye said to her brother-in-law

"Rebecca, we will do" His wife. Tinuke replied with envy in her voice.

Yeye did not like being called Rebecca by anyone other than her husband.

She tried not to react. After all they were already leaving and they had been so kind to host them.

She chose to look away at the men who were helping her move their belongings into the moving van in front of the house.

She was so happy to have received her daughters message regarding how her meeting with Chima's family went and their move today.

She looked at her husband who looked uneasy for some reason.

"What's wrong, Ade" She said touching his arm.

"Nothing, I just don't feel comfortable with us burdening this poor boy like this" He said while staring at Chima who was instructing the movers

Her hand dropped. She didn't know how to respond

"Ma, I will drop you off at the house and head to work. I will also tell Remi to give you a call to ease your mind" Chima said and then prostrated.

Remi had advised in her message that she would be spending the day with his mother. Yeye was happy to learn that Chima's mother had offered to spend the day with her before she left the country again.

"Thank you so much, Chima" Yeye said

"God bless you" Ade said

"Its okay sir, Its my Uncle's house. He died in the UK and had no descendants. Its quite far from work and it has just been empty for years and my father has willed it to me to use as I wish" he said clasping his hands together before his phone rang "Its really not a bother sir. I will be right back sir"

He stepped away and took the call. He came back to where they stood

"I am really sorry I wont be able to drop you off. There is something I need to do in the office that requires my urgent attention I will get a designated driver to come and drop you off"

"No problem. Thank you, words cant describe how grateful we are" Yeye said as he backed away

"I will make sure Remi gives you a call"

*********************************************************

Her head was banging but she felt like she was in heaven, the bed below her felt so fluffy and cozy. She hugged the duvet as she thought about the beauty of sleep.

Peace.

After a few more minutes of sleep Remi felt the discomfort of the comfort she was experiencing. It was becoming suspiciously alarming.

How is she on a bed? It doesn't add up to her shattered memories of last night.

Remi refused to wake up despite her suspicions instead, she turned and rolled over on the bed. Maybe she's overthinking or had a bad dream she has mistaken for reality. She pulled the duvet away from her upper body.

With her eyes still closed, she patted the empty side of the bed her hand could cover, hoping to graze her phone with her palm.

"Are you looking for this" The deep familiar voice said

Remi eyes opened against their will, her body frozen in state and facing the opposite direction of the voice.

Where the hell was she?