CHAPTER 22

As Remi tried to figure out her way to the wedding hall, she came across the photo space that had a red carpet and a large banner of the couples and their wedding logo. They had come in through the back entrance as the main entrance was filled with photographers taking pictures as some notable people made their way in.

She noticed a group of 10 photographers and reporters seated aside preparing their gears.

Remi turned to leave but saw Chima walking down the hallway towards her and panicked onto the carpets. The photographers fell silent as she assumed they would since they didn't know who she was. A nobody, they couldn't care any less. 

Perfect for her escape she thought.

She looked to see where he was and he was still heading down the hallway, after a moment of silence she started to walk away quickly with her head down and an awkward smile on her face.

She picked up her dress to prevent her from tripping on it n.

"How long is this Damned carpet" she said before bumping into someone who stepped onto the end of the carpet stopping her in her stride.

From his polished Brunello shoes, she knew who it was.

"Hello love" he said as she eyed him up. Tobi stepped forward which made her step back, he pulled her close by the waist and she leaned into his chest as the cameras went crazy.

"Sir please come forward" Ellen the pr executive directed and Remi stepped back further into the carpet as Tobi held on to her hand.

"Sir,sir,sir....." the photographers kept yelling to get his attention as he waved at them. 

"Smile please" Ellen whispered and signed by putting her fingers to her face that had a smile on it from the floor where she bent down to avoid obstructing the photographers.

After all if the deal with grandfather was to go through she had to play along.

"Why..." Remi tried to whisper before he caught her off as they posed for pictures

"We can have that conversation later, Remi' he said without looking at her

She looked up to study Tobi who was looking straight ahead at the photographers with a firm face that broke  into a small smile depending on when he changed the direction he was looking at. He placed his hand on her lower back and drew her closer which made her smile as she placed her hand behind. He looked at her and they stay smiling at each other for a moment.

"sir over here sir"

He twirled her and hugged her from behind as they pose for more pictures. It felt like their pre engagement shoot all over again even more so when he stepped back and visibly admired her with a big smile on his face before pulling her into a hug.

God, could he get an Oscar already. The way his eyes looked at her as it sparkled with excitement and charm. Remi smiled back as she got lost in them, she turned to the cameras, reminding herself it wasn't real. She spotted some of the reporters from earlier in front of cameras reporting news she found inaudible.

Tobi waved and took her hand in his and started to guide her towards the end of the carpet to signal the end of the shoot. "Oh my god" Remi said laughing as she spotted Ellen on all four crawling along with them turning Tobi's attention to it as he joined in the laughter.

Ellen stood up at the end of the carpet and dusted herself up.

"Good day sir" she managed to say as she tried hard in vain to not display how she felt in his presence. Her light skin gave her up with the dust of red that suddenly appeared on her cheeks as Tobi let go off her hand gently as he resumed his usual persona.

"Ellen" he said with a nod before pulling out his phone from the pocket of his white agbada as he adjusted his native cap that was made from the same fabric as the gele she tied on her head.

"Ophelia, yes....." he said before stepping away

Remi watched him talk on the phone for a while till Ife touched her arm.
"That was good ma'am" Ife said taking Remi's full attention as she pulled out her tablet.

"Some pictures are out already and some news report too" ife said scrolling on her tablet

The headlines took all the attention from Tobi, "who is she, mystery woman with governor candidate"

Remi took the tablet from Ife after reading an headline "new girl in the playboys playbook"

She scanned through it and it made mention of Ophelia and their public spotting over the years. While the others were mentioned in passing as speculations and assumptions .

 But the pictures with Ophelia at events, out on a yatch, in Monaco, on the beach and at a smoking area at an unidentified location.

"I need fresh air" Remi said as the dress she was wearing suddenly felt tighter.

"This way" Hassan said from behind her

"Hassan" she  said with a smile she was happy to see him.

"Ma'am" he said as he bowed his head slightly before leading the way out

"I will come with you" Ife offered

"No thank you...we will be fine" she said as she stole a glance at her husband who was still on a call with his mistress.

The burst of fresh air filled her lungs as they stepped outside and Hassan led her further away to a private area. 

They stood in silence till foot steps emerged "Remi" Chima said

Her heart jumped as she hoped her mind was playing tricks on her. She turned to see him there. 

He was as beautiful as she had imagined he would be on the day they would get married to each other, a day that would only exist in her imagination.

"leave us alone" Remi said to Hassan who obeyed with a bow before stepping away with eye sight.