Chapter 1

"Yo, Sanchez! Heard you dumped your boyfriend!" 

"What's it to you?" 

"I was thinkin-" 

"Fuck off, asshole." I said. "Suggest it again and I'll beat your ass." 

"You wouldn't even hurt me." He laughed. 

"Again, Edelman, I'll beat your ass." 

"Again, Sanchez, you couldn't hurt me." 

"What I think you should do is go have a catch with your little football friends before I knock your stupid teeth out." 

"Maybe I will." 

"Alright good." 

I sighed and finished looking through all of the websites my sister had sent me about where I was predicted to go in the NWSL draft. 

"I'm only 18, Ash. Nobody's gonna want me after only playing 1 season of college soccer." I told her on the phone later that night. "Nobody's gonna be stupid enough to take me in the first round. I'll be lucky if I get second." 

"Spirit's stupid enough." My sister said. 

"Not that stupid." 

"They took a huge chance on Trinity. She hadn't even played a college season. Trust me, you're gonna be picked here 3rd pick." 

"Dream on, sis." 

"I'm serious!" 

"Whatever." 

"Listen. You got your USWNT call up, that's gonna show you everything you need to see. Trust me on this. And finally, after all these years, we get to play together. And it's at the highest level. This is tell enough to get drafted. Everyone's gonna want you. Ainsley. You're stupid good at soccer. You make everyone look like this is rec soccer ans you're a travel girl. And you're playing D1." 

"But Ashley-" 

"It's getting late here. But I'll see you tomorrow. I can't wait. I love you." 

"Love you too." I sighed, and ended the FaceTime call. 

I laid back on my bed and let my arm cover my eyes. 

I thought of how I still had to pack and how I was supposed to fly out to Dallas tomorrow for my first ever USWNT camp to close out their year. They had a few issues and Vlatko had his eye on me. 

I just rolled out of bed and threw a bunch of clothes in my suitcase, having no idea what I needed for this trip. I could literally just call my sister, but she's just going to ignore it or tell me to shut up, the same way she used to when we were younger. 

I realized I missed Ashley like CRAZY all the time. We grew up so close that seeing her to go college was hard, and now her living all the way across the country is even harder. And I don't think it really affects her too much, because she's an adult doing adult things with her (mostly) adult friends. 

The only one that is still not really an adult is Trinity Rodman. The stupid girl that keeps my sister from talking to me when I call her. She's always with Trinity, and seems to not have time for me anymore. 

I feel like I've been replaced, because Trinity and I are the same age almost. Ashley seemed to adopt her as the new me, one that could be with her a lot and not across the country in college. 

And honestly I didn't want to put those feelings aside. I hate the feeling of being replaced. 

I sighed and finished packing up and waiting for my roommate to come home so I can actually go to sleep. 

I scrolled through Ashley's instagram. Towards the top there was a lot of pictures of her and her new friend, but as I got farther it was her and her old friends, and I was in there too. A lot. 

When my roommate came in, I finally clicked off my phone and turned off my lamp. 

"Only took you all night to get back." I told her, seeing the time was 12:30. 

"Sorry. I was watching a TV show with my friend." She said. 

"Friend as in-" 

"Yes, Ainsley." 

"No need to get feisty on me, Madison." 

She sighed and I know she rolled her eyes but I couldn't see because it was dark. 

"So how is he anyway?" I asked. 

"He's good." 

"You know, Edelman was all over me today. Wouldn't leave me alone because I dumped James's bitch ass." I told her. 

"He's annoying." 

"You're telling me." I sighed. "If he talks to me again, I swear, I'll deck him in his stupid fucking face." 

"Is he as afraid you you as I am?" Madison laughed. 

"Pfft. No. But he will be." 

"You've got no reason to be scared of me." I said, standing up out of my bed and tackling her onto hers. We both giggled a ton."I wouldn't hurt you even if you turned out to be Edelman." 

"Are you sure about that?" She giggled. 

"I don't know. Just don't become him. I'd hate to see such a pretty face be so messed up." 

"Better not talk to people like that on the USWNT." 

"Ashley already warned me. And she's well aware that went in one ear and right out the other." 

"Pretty standard." She said. "Now get off my bed so I can go to sleep." 

"What if I just stay?" I teased. 

"Then I'll rail you." 

"You're cute and all, but I'm good." I got up and stretched before laying back in my bed and falling asleep almost immediately.