Chapter 43

Ainsley's POV

I ended up at the party, holding Mal's arm as we walked through the crowds of people. Her hood was up and she had glasses on, and I wasn't concerned about myself being noticed but she made me wear my hair in braids with a hat. I thought I looked fucking stupid. 

I was stressed out, because Ash and Trin kept texting me, but no way in hell was I letting them know where I was. 

"When we find him, you tell him the truth, and then we leave, got it?" Mal said, getting close to my ear. "I'll go wait by the front door. You have 5 minutes, because otherwise you'll dance around the topic the whole night. 5 minutes and then you're on your own." 

"Got it." I said, keeping my eyes out. 

It was a big deal, because I answered him, and he fucking called me and started flirting with me when he invited me to the damn party. Mal got pissed that I let it happen, so she made me go to the party to tell him instead of just texting him. 

"I found him." I said. 

"No drinking." She whispered, shoving me in his direction and then heading for the door. 

I rolled my eyes at her as he came to me. 

"Hey! Party's great isn't it?" 

"Yep. Just like college." 

"Well this technically is a college party." He said, then he explained something about his friend from the area who stayed local throwing these parties and whatever. 

"That's fun. Listen-" 

"Want to try some?" He asked, shoving his drink into my hand. 

Mal's empty threat rang in my ears, but I took a sip anyway. 

"That's good!" I said. "What is it?" 

"It's some sort of mix with the fruit punch. You can have it." 

"Thanks." I said, not wanting to offend him. 

"Want to come dance?" 

"Not really. I have something-" 

"Come on!" He took my hand and I followed him. I wanted to cry. 

I took another sip of the drink, and then another. I tried to talk to him multiple times. but he cut me off every time, which was so fucking annoying. 

I completely forgot about the 5 minutes, and like a dumbass, I didn't put two and two together when my phone was blowing up. 

I ended up having a ton of fun, and I made a lot of mistakes. 

First mistake I made was thinking that a little flirting would be harmless. I could just bolt, and ghost Edelman for the rest of my life. The second mistake I made was getting drunk. Not wasted, but drunk. 

The third one was letting him bring me all the way back to my room. 

"Are you sure you can get in?" He said. 

"Yes. I have a key somewhere. And Mal is in there. I'll be okay." I grabbed the wall for support. 

"Are you sure she's in there?" 

"Listen to me." I said, stepping up closer to him. "I. Am. Going. To. Be. Okay." 

"Alright." He said. 

Then I knocked on the door so Mal would let me in, and then I turned and kissed him. Not long. just quick. 

I think the door opened and shut in the quick few seconds, but I couldn't be sure.