Chapter 57

Ainsley's POV

The rest of the day after we got knocked out was an overwhelming blur. I had nothing for the media. There wasn't much going on in my mind except the overwhelming feelings of sadness, anger, and failure. I gave a single quote and then walked back into the locker room.

"Though the result wasn't what we wanted, I'm forever grateful to be here and to have had the opportunity to represent my country on the biggest stage. This is something I will cherish forever, despite the result. All I've gone through to get here made every single second worth it. I know we didn't place where we wanted or do as well as we'd liked, but there's not a moment in this tournament I've taken for granted, just like every moment I get playing this sport. Every game has something to learn from, and everything I do is done to get better, for both myself and my teammates. Just a few months ago, I was told my lungs were permanently damaged and would never be strong enough to play a full 90, and today I played 120. That makes me believe I can do anything, including come back from this loss a better player than I was before. I'm so sorry I let my country down this tournament, I just wasn't good enough, and I promise I will be better if I get another opportunity to rep the crest. I'm sorry I wasn't good enough." 

When I got into the locker room, I threw my water bottle at my locker. The loud bang caused the few people that were in the room to look my way, but I was ultimately ignored. 

It's relatively well-known around the locker room that Ainsley Sanchez can be an absolute headcase. 

I sat down at my locker with my bag at my feet and started throwing things in it. After I ripped off my shirt and threw it in the bag, I dropped my head in my hands and started bawling my eyes out all over again. 

"Fuck this fucking..." I tried to calm myself down. "God damn it." 

I heard someone sit next to me and a pair of arms around me, pulling me close. 

"I'm sorry." Trinity whispered. "It never should have ended this way." 

"This damn game." I sighed. 

"It shouldn't have ended this way." 

"But it did." 

"It did." 

"We'll learn from it, right?" 

"Absolutely." 

"Good, because I told the media I would." 

"And you know what I told the media?" I moved my head so I could look her in the eyes, still comforted by her embrace. 

"What'd you tell the media?"

"I told them that this is gonna hurt for a while, but there's a lot of good that can come out of it. But I told them, that most of all, I was proud of my teammates. I also told them how proud I was of my girlfriend, how she's been through so much and how she never let that affect the way she plays, and how she always outworks everyone for both club and country." 

"Did you really say that?" I smiled. "Did you really say the 'G' word?" 

"Yes, I really said the 'G' word, Ace." 

"I love you."  I pulled her in and squeezed her in a tight hug. 

"I love you too." 

It'll take time, but I know everything's going to be okay.

--

just a few more chapters of this one :( definitely gonna miss trina and ace but i do think it's time to wrap it up. the end of this story is going to be a little different then the rest, but i promise it will be good! thanks y'all :)