Chapter 17

Ainsley's POV

By the time of the draft, I was out of the wheelchair, off crutches, and out of the cast. I only had my burned leg wrapped. 

I'd had a nice long talk with Trinity about why she did the thing she did for me, and she just kind of shrugged. 

I never noticed that she was actually kind of hot, but I played that down to the fact that it's probably a hero thing. She's been called a real life superhero for the last 2 months. 

Ashley brought me to the draft, and she'd step into any role a parent would do, just like her flying across the country for my high school senior night just to walk me onto the field. I cried hard that night. 

And we both knew my predicted position in the draft wasn't gonna hold because of the amount of injuries I sustained, as well as the fact that my fitness may never be the same again. 

But I'd worked hard to start getting back into form.  For the most part I could run okay, but I couldn't do anything contact still with my left leg, and of course my lungs. It was going to be a long process to be able to run a lot again, but I'd get there, I know I can. 

First pick, Orlando Pride, didn't take me. Second pick, Racing Louisville, also didn't take me. I was happy because I didn't want to go anywhere other then Washington. 

Portland Thorns didn't pick me, neither did Gotham FC or Houston Dash. 

The next pick was the Chicago Red Stars, then it would be Washington Spirit. 

Neither took me. Both passed. 

I couldn't lie, it kind of hurt. I expected to be picked. 

Ashley knew that, and she looked at me and put her hand on my shoulder. 

Second round San Diego had first pick. Didn't take me. Chicago had second pick and third pick, didn't take me either one. Then Orlando, then Washington. 

"The Washington Spirit select....Ainsley Sanchez, UCLA!" 

I stood up and smiled, giving Ashley a hug before walking up to the front. 

I had 15 seconds to talk and then I was going to get my picture taken. 

"This is crazy. I can't believe I'm here after only one season. And after everything I've been through both physically and mentally, I want to thank the Washington Spirit organization for wanting to take a chance on me. It really means the world." I said, and everyone cheered. 

I was handed my scarf and took a picture with the manager and the commissioner, who announced my pick, and then Ashley same up for a picture as well. 

I didn't care where I fell in the draft, I was just happy about two things. 1-That I was with my sister, and 2-Someone was actually willing to take a chance on me despite the high chance my fitness will never be above the level of someone who could come in as a sub. 

Washington Spirit took a chance on me, and I'm not going to let that go to waste.