Chapter 41

Ainsley's POV

Ash and I were both called back into USWNT camp in April. We were back. 

They said they had to evaluate how my fucking lungs were doing before I could get intoa  full practice or some dumb shit like that. I've been completely fine with the Spirit - no scares, no trouble. 

It's literally a miracle. 

I was rooming with Mal again, and we picked up right where we left off, still best friends. 

I told her about whatever was going on between Trin and I, and she was so invested. But I also told her to keep it on the down low, not even Ash knows that there's literal feelings involved. 

"The dynamic shifted like crazy. I can already tell." Mal said. "But I knew it, Ainsley. I knew it."

"Fuck you." 

"Ainsley." 

"Mal." 

"You can't curse every single time you want to end a conversation. That's not normal." 

"What about me is normal?" 

"You got me there." 

I smirked as I nodded, leaning back on my bed. I stared at the ceiling instead of her corny reality TV show. 

"So I heard you're pretty good at scoring against Ireland, superstar." I said. 

"You could have ended that sentence at 'scoring.'" She smirked. 

"You arrogant little bitch." 

"Says the one who got in a fight in her second league game." 

"It's a sensitive subject." I said giving her a middle finger. "I have to sit next match. Also, do you know how much blood I lost?" 

"Not enough to shut you up." 

"Thankfully." 

"How much did you really lose?" 

"I woke up to my nose bleeding three times that night. There was blood all over three sets of bed sheets, those poor cleaning ladies. Ashley joked that they probably didn't throw the sheets out so they could give it to police as evidence of a murder. Personally, I didn't find that fucking funny because I didn't sleep more than an two hours that night." 

She just laughed at me, which made me more upset. 

I just laid back down on my bed and stared at the hotel ceiling. 

"Listen Ains. You're a great player but you still have a lot to learn. For example, you can't get in fights. In the locker room or on the field." 

"I know, because word will get out that I'm locker room cancer and nobody will want me on their team. I've heard it a million times." 

"It also doesn't help that people think you're a drug addict." 

"MALLORY!" I shot straight up. "You can't say that! It was one weird freak thing. Those 'rumors' were handled." 

"Sorry, sorry." She laughed. "I was just trying to push your buttons." 

"I'll break your buttons." 

"You're not wrong." 

There was a knock at the door, and since I was closer, she motioned for me to get it. I rolled my eyes and got up, opening the door to Ashley and Trinity. 

"We're hungry. Come get food with us." 

"Are you kidding me?" I sighed. 

"Ainsley what? You love food!" Ash said.