Chapter 35

Ainsley's POV

After getting ice cream, we went back to her house and watched TV. 

"So." Trinity said eventually "Why are you really here?" 

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"You know what I mean." 

"Ashley's-" 

"Don't give me a story. Give me the truth. I know Ash's home tonight. She was texting me about the cookies she made." 

"Fine. You got me." I sighed. "Maybe I kinda, a little bit, slightly, maybe, kinda, like spending time with you." 

She smirked at the confession she's been waiting so long to hear. 

Well I think I kinda, a little bit, slightly, maybe, kinda, like spending time with you too." 

"I have a love-hate relationship with that statement." I said, trying to keep the smile from spreading across my face but failing to do so. 

"Well I had a ton of fun tonight, so maybe we could do this more often."

"Maybe." 

We were quiet for a few seconds, the tension between us so strong I wanted to stick my hand out and touch it. 

"You know, I could make this night a little bit more fun." I said, sliding a little bit closer to her. 

"What did you have in mind?" 

----------

Trinity's POV

I was in the middle of....fun....with Ainsley when I heard the front door open. 

"What the fuck." SHe sighed. 

"Let me go check." 

Why I gave so many people copies of my house key I'm not sure, because moments like these suck. 

I got out of my bed and threw on my shirt and a pair of shorts, quickly stopping in the bathroom to check what I looked like in the mirror. before going downstairs. 

"Hello? Who's here?" I called down the stairs as I slowly made my way down. 

"It's me, Ashley." 

I started to panic, and I was dangerously close to yelling. 

"Look! I brought cookies!" She smiled. 

"Listen Ash, this isn't a great time." 

"I can make popcorn and we can watch a movie. Ainsley's out so it's quiet and lonely at home." 

Upon hearing her name, my muscles tensed and I think I blushed. 

"Ash." I stepped into her field of view. "Can we find another time to hang out?" 

"Are you okay? You look like shit." 

"Thanks a lot." 

"Sorry." 

"I just...don't feel great. Maybe we can hang out tomorrow?" 

"Yeah okay. Cookies are on the counter." 

"Thanks." 

"Bye." She left and I let out a huge sigh of relief. 

I was absolutely not going to tell Ainsley that's who was here, so I quickly hid the cookies in a cabinet and headed back upstairs. That could have been pretty bad. 

----------

Ainsley's POV

I woke up after letting myself fall asleep for a few minutes, only to see that it's been more than a few minutes. 

Ashley's going to kill me. 

I was supposed to be home at 1:00, it's 2:30.

What am I supposed to say to her? Sorry, I was fucking your best friend and lost track of time? 

I slowly moved myself away from Trinity, carefully moving her arm off of me. I put on my leggings and sweatshirt over my shirt and slipped out of the room and downstairs, put my shoes on and out the front door. I was too scared to check my phone, even as I walked a block to my car. I figured Ash was probably freaking out and threatening me through her texts. 

I was home by 2:45, and I tried to be quiet walking into the house. 

Ash was asleep on the couch, TLC just playing whatever was on. I covered her with a blanket and went upstairs to take a shower. 

----------

I thought I was in the clear getting out of the shower. I figured I could just lie about what time I got home, and she wouldn't be mad at me. But when I walked from the bathroom to my bed, carrying my dirty clothes in my hands, she was sitting at my fucking desk chair, rocking back and forth. 

God damn it. I'm fucked. 

"You were....an hour and a half late at least." She said. 

"I didn't mean-" 

"I don't want to hear it. I told you what time you had to be home, and you just ignored it." 

"I'm really super sorry, Ashley. I fell asleep and lost track of time. I swear. I won't let it happen again." 

"I'm pissed off at you, Ainsley. I told you what you had to do, and you didn't do it. You just completely ignored what I said. That makes me mad." 

"You're not my mom, Ashley. You have no right to tell me what to do. I'm 18, without parents. I can make my own decisions. I'm not a little kid anymore." 

"Are you drunk?" She asked, standing up furiously. 

"No. I haven't had a sip of alcohol in weeks." 

"Give me that." She took my clothes from my hands and smelled them, nothing. Then she came close to my face to smell my breath, nothing. 

"I told you, I'm not drunk." 

"This isn't the shirt you were wearing when you left." 

"What the fuck? How would you remember that?" 

"You were wearing a white t-shirt. This is a navy blue."

"I have no fucking clue what you're talking about." 

"Where have I seen this before?" She dropped the bother clothes and held it up. "It's ginormous. This would never fit you." 

Oh shit. 

Somewhere down the line, I must have ended up with one of Trinity's shirts. God damn it. 

"Where have I seen this?" 

"I-" 

"Is it Tara? Was it Tara? I don't think so. It could be." 

"It's just a big shirt. I like it." 

"Maybe it was you. I just swear you were wearing a white shirt." 

"I was wearing my sweatshirt." I lied. I knew the sweatshirt was in the car and I grabbed it before I got out because I knew it was cold. 

"It's mine." I said, grabbing it. I have no idea how she didn't notice it was Trin's, she wears it a lot and when I took the shirt from Ashley's hands and threw it over my shoulder, it didn't smell like me at all. 

Ash made a face like she might have been able to smell something on the shirt, but I knew I was probably safe because she thinks I hate her. 

Which I do. 

Just a little bit less. 

"Well we're gonna talk in the morning, I'm tired. But still very mad. Goodnight." 

"Night." I sighed, laying down on my bed. She shut off the light and closed the door behind her, and I fell asleep in seconds.