Chapter 42

Ainsley's POV

We weren't ready to let go of the night after dinner, so we walked around the city trying to find something fun to do. 

"Ace look!" Trinity said, pointing to a building a little bit down the street. 

"What is it?" 

"It's a karaoke bar." 

"No." I shook my head. "Absolutely not. I don't sing." 

"You do tonight." She grabbed my wrist and dragged me into the place. It as simple, a karaoke machine and some speakers on a small stage in the back, a bar in the middle, and a bunch of tables between the stage and the door. There were about 30 people inside, and maybe half at the bar. 

The hostess told us that we had to go sign our names on the paper to sing, and we could sing as many times as we wanted as long as we bought a ticket now and bought a food or drink or something. Trinity bought us each a ticket for $15 and we went to the bar to get drinks. 

"I'll have a Sprite, please." She said, leaning on the bar. I tried to order, but she cut me off. "And she'll have a Shirley Temple." 

"How'd you know?" I whispered when the bartender walked away. 

"I know you well enough at this point, babes." 

When our drinks were put in front of us, we took them and found a table. She went to go sign herself up to sing, and I couldn't wait for her to look so stupid. But instead, my name was called with hers. 

"So what should we sing?" She whispered as she dragged me to the stage. 

"You should sing the song called 'Go Fuck Yourself.'" 

"How about this one? You have to know this one." She blocked me from peering over her shoulder as she picked a song from the machine. 

The song she picked was 'True Love' by P!nk, a song she'd dubbed our song about a million times. I'd always found the song slightly corny and told her I disagree when she said that, but I can't lie, I do agree with her. 

Our singing was awful but the crowd loved it. They erupted into cheers as we finished, and someone yelled for us to sing again. A bunch of people cheered at that. 

"You want us to sing again?" Trinity asked. Everyone said yes. "Alright. Ace why don't you pick a song." 

I nodded and walked to the machine, scrolling through the songs. 

"I don't know if I ever introduced myself. My name is Trinity, and this is my girlfriend Ainsley." 

My body froze when she said that, but as it replayed in my head, it sounded right. 

I picked Fast Car, which is my current favorite song. It was originally recorded by Tracy Chapman but Luke Combs recorded his own version and put it on his new album, and I've been obsessed with it ever since. I played it so many times that Trinity knows all the words without intentionally learning them. 

She looked back at me and rolled her eyes when she heard the music, but she couldn't stop her smile when I smiled looked at her. 

While we were singing that song, it really hit me.

The world was irrelevant, nothing else mattered except for us. Not the people watching us, not the people at the hotel waiting for us. There was me and there was her, there was us and nobody else. 

----------

Ashley's POV

Mal, Rose, Lindsey and I lost trivia night. We lost to  Hatchy, Casey, Alyssa and Sofia, who beat out us and 5 other teams. They teased us all the way back to our floor, and that's when I realized I'd left my key in my room like a complete idiot.