Chapter 11

Ainsley's POV

"Hey Little Sanchez." Mallory said when I finally woke up. "How you feelin?" 

I just looked up at her, not really wanting to talk. 

"You really scared us, kiddo." Kelley said, popping into my field of view. 

I switched my gaze to her instead. 

"Where's Ashley?" I whispered. They looked at each other. 

"Alex is bring her now. She's on the way." 

I nodded. 

"How long was I out for?" 

"About an hour." Said Mallory. "I'm so happy you're okay." 

"Me too, Junior." Kelley smiled. 

"Oh so we've shortened it to just Junior now?" I whispered. 

"Maybe. Haven't decided yet." 

Ashley came running in a minute later, followed by Alex. 

"Ainsley!" She said, coming over to the bed. "I'm so glad you're alive!" 

She grabbed my hand and kissed my forehead. 

"You bitch! Don't ever do that stupid shit again! Only use the right amount of medicine. I'm actually going to kill you when you get out of here!" 

"That's more like it." I laughed. 

"Never scare me like that again, okay? Promise?" 

"Promise." 

She gave me a long hug. 

"I need you. Please. Please never leave me." She sniffled. "God only knows I've had enough of that." 

"I know too." I whispered back. "I'm here to stay. I promise." 

----------

The next day I was discharged from the hospital and the day after that was the first game. 

I was obviously unavailable to play this game, but they said I should be okay for the next one.

I was weak the day I got out and pretty weak the next day, but I pulled myself together and brought myself to watch the game. The coaches let me sit on the bench which made me so happy. 

The reason for my being out they used is a 'medical scare' but they left it vague, which I was grateful for. 

An hour before kickoff, an anonymous reporter that was apparently here when I got hauled off to the hospital released details about my 'medical scare.' I was told by a random staff member. 

"Wait what?" I asked, standing up off the bench. 

"Come on. We'll see what it's all about." He said. I nodded and followed him back into the tunnel and into a conference area. 

He pulled up the Twitter post on his computer and I read through it. 

"Vlatko claims that Ainsley Sanchez is unavailable for selection today due to a 'health scare.' Sanchez was taken from the locker room on a stretcher completely blacked out. I heard the word 'overdose' being said a lot." I read out loud. What the hell? 

In the thread right below it, the same person added to the story. 

"The only outward information that is technically allowed to be released is this statement from captain Becky Sauerbrunn. 'All I can say about it, thank goodness for Trinity Rodman. She saved Ainsley's life. That's all I can say.'" 

What? If anything she would be the cause of me going to the hospital. 

"Isn't that like illegal? To release my medical problems to the public without my consent or it even being confirmed?" I asked the guy. 

"It is, kiddo. I'm sorry." 

"But the damage is done." I sighed. 

"It's up to whether or not people actually believe this unknown source. Listen, to do some damage control, if you do play in the next game, you'll get a first cap press conference. I say we play it off as the stitches. Just mention it in passing, don't make a huge deal out of it." He said. 

"That's a good idea." 

"Now why don't you get back out there and watch warm ups." 

"I will." I said. "And thank you for bringing this to my attention." 

"Your welcome." 

I found my way back outside, and Ash came over to me. 

"What'd he have to say?" 

"Nothing much. Nothing to worry about. I'll tell you after the game." 

"Sounds good." 

I gave her a high five as she ran away. 

I took a spot on the bench next to Ashley when it was time for kickoff. I was so excited to just sit at the field level, let alone thinking about playing on Tuesday.

At halftime, we were up on Germany 1-0, goal from Mallory. 

At halftime, Sophia's ankle was sore so Trinity subbed in for her.

I wanted to say something mean, but I decided that wouldn't be good for anyone. 

Plus, she saved my life. 

Maybe I could be a little bit nicer. 

Ashley went in in the 65th minute, and Germany scored in the 77th. 

Then, my sister, the real life supergirl, had a 64 yard run to put us ahead in the 86th. 

I jumped off the bench and started jumping and cheering, which made everybody happy. I went back a little bit light headed, but I'd get over it. 

The game ended 2-1 thanks to Ashley. 

She ran right to me after the final whistle blew. 

"I saw you jumping like that." She said after she gave me a long hug. 

"I'm so proud of you!" I smiled. "You're literally my hero." 

"I think you should be saying that to someone else." 

I sighed, because I knew who she was referring to. 

"You saw the statement?" 

"Yep. On the big screen in the conference room as we passed by at halftime. I know that's what you saw before the game." 

I was quiet for a minute, then the cameras started coming for my sister. 

The social media admin came around and took a video of us. 

"I'm Ashley Sanchez and this is my little sister Ainsley." 

"More commonly known around here as 'Little Sanchez.'" I chimed in. 

"You scored the game winner! How does that feel?" Asked the admin. 

"I think.....I think it's one of the greatest moments of my life. I feel great." Ashley smiled. 

"And how do you feel that your sister scored the game winner?" 

"She's my hero. She always has been, always will be. And I'm her number 1 fan, you bandwagoners." 

Ashley laughed and the video stopped. 

"I can't wait to see you play on Tuesday." She said. 

"Hopefully I get to." I said, and she went to find stupid Trinity and I found Mallory.