Chapter 16

No One's POV

After the news made it to UCLA, hell broke out on campus, because Ainsley Sanchez was a pretty popular student. 

"I heard she got a million burns all over her body." Said one student. 

"Wait, I thought she was dead!" Another said. 

"No, we just haven't heard anything yet." Said a third. 

Across campus, Edelman and James were walking back to the locker room from practice. 

"Dude look at this." James handed his friend his phone. 

"Seems like being a pro isn't working too well for the younger Sanchez, is it?" Said Edelman after a minute. "She's been in the hospital more than she's got minutes in a game, that's for sure." 

"She played the second game, a girl got hurt so she went in. Scored in her debut." 

"Keeping tabs on your ex still?" Smirked Edelman. 

"I mean, she just played for her country! That's the highest honor there is in soccer really. Think about it. It's kind of like the pro bowl or the all star game, the best players get to go. And instead of playing against other league players, you play against he best players for other countries." 

"I get what you mean." 

Across the campus, the girls soccer team was all gathered in the common area of one of the girls' dorm, anxiously awaiting the news on their teammate. 

And in her own form, Madison just stared at the empty side of the room, not sure what she'd be having to do with her roommate's things in the next few hours. 

----------

Ainsley's POV

It took me an hour to respond to all of the texts I got but I did it. And then I just sat in the hospital for another day just reading all the things people were saying about me. 

When I was let out of the hospital, they were afraid to let me take an airplane but somehow, because I could find a way to sell sand on the fucking beach, I was able to make my way back to LA to pack my stuff and move to D.C. with Ashley. 

"You know, having to push you in this stupid ass wheelchair and pull our suitcases really sucks." Ashley said. 

"You'll be done in just a minute. Stop complaining." I said, rolling my eyes. 

"I know you just rolled your eyes, and I'm gonna pretend that doesn't piss me off." 

"Shut up." 

She let go of the wheelchair and told me to roll it on my own, which I figured out eventually. 

My left leg was completely wrapped in bandages, and I would be fine to use crutches but because of the dumb fracture in my wrist I couldn't. 

It was hard to do anything honestly. It was hard to talk, hard to move, hard to text. I hate everything about my life right now. 

I somehow got on the plane and fell asleep on the way, and Ashley woke me up and I got so nervous to see everyone again. 

We had already contacted people at the school to get me online classes for when I'm in D.C., just so that if no team takes a chance on me after this I still get my stupid education. 

Something deep inside of me told me I'd gotten my 15 minutes of fame and I wouldn't be known on the USWNT as anything more than 'the girl in the fire.' 

And when we packed up all of my stuff from my dorm, said bye to all my my friends, had a nice long talk with Madison about how I'd do anything I could to play soccer again and I'm not giving up, and said goodbye to my campus for god only knows how long. 

When we got to D.C., there was a swarm of reporters at the airport, and Kelley and Trinity were there to push us through. 

"Ainsley, I swear to god, if you say anything nasty to those reporters or to Trinity while we're trying to get to the car I'm sending you back to LA." Ashley bent down to whisper to me. 

"Okay." I whispered. 

I didn't want to talk in public anyway, my voice sounds fucking stupid. 

"Ainsley! Ainsley! Over here!" Someone called. 

"Trinity! You're a real superhero! What's that like?" 

"Ainsley, name all of your injuries!" 

"Ashley how badly is she hurt?" 

One guy stuck his camera out, but Kelley pushed it away. 

"Please! Leave them all alone!" She said. 

Everyone shut up as we loaded into the car and got ready to suffer the next 3 months.