Chapter 26

Ainsley's POV

I looked down at Ash, her arms bruised, cut up and wrapped in a few places, and a few cuts on her usually perfect face. 

What I wanted was for her to just sit up, to get off the bed and say she's ready to go home, and then we go home and have movie night. I'll make popcorn, she'll call Tara and Trinity, I'll complain about Trinity coming, but I'll end up having fun anyway. That's just how it goes. 

I wanted her to wake up so I could say sorry, so I can tell her it's all my fault, I'm a horrible person, and we'll never fight again. 

But when I looked to Tara, then back to my sister, it just reminded me of when I lose y dad. 

Then memories came flooding back. 

I remembered my first actually competitive soccer game, how she begged my dad to let her skip her own practice to see my game. I remember scoring a goal, and seeing her on the sideline, and I yelled "Are you proud of me?" And she said she was. She said it after every game I played, from the time I was 5 until she went to college. 

I remembered all the times she stood up for me when I was smaller and weaker than she was, whether it was my evil mom or mean kids at school. I remember her being in high school and punching the absolute fucking shit out of my middle school bully, then as we walked away, she said "forever and always." Just like she always said after sadly handing my mom her phone for saying something that should never be said to your parent while coming to my defense. Then that night, I'd sneak into her room and let her text her friends using my phone. I'd climb into her bed and thank her a million times, and when I was done, she'd say "forever and always." 

I remember the day she left for college, the most devastating day of my life. She told me 3 things: to behave, I make her proud every day, and that she loves me. I cried every night for the next 2 weeks because I missed her so much. 

I remembered when she drove home as fast as she could, getting a speeding ticket in the process, when our dad was in the hospital and they knew he wouldn't make it through the night. I remember her tear streaked face pulling me in for a hug and not letting go for hours. 

I thought of when she surprised me and flew in from D.C. to make it to my high school senior night. I was just going to have my best friend walk out with me, thought it was her senior night too, but she knew all along Ashley was going to be there to surprise me. I still have a picture from that night as my phone lock screen. 

After everything that's happened in my life, there's been 2 constants. Soccer and Ashley. 

And as I looked down at her, I realized one of those things may not be the same. And at this point in life without one, I don't have the other. 

I burst into tears all over again, and grabbing her hand, I leaned down to whisper "forever and always" to her. 

She opened her eyes, and I smiled. 

"I got you." She whispered, so low I could barely hear. "Forever and always." 

"Ash?" 

She just smiled at me, and I almost screamed. 

I half expected that I'd never see that smile again. 

"Is she awake?" A nurse asked. 

"Yeah!" 

She poked her head out the door, and a whole group came walking in, one of them pushing me out of the way, and I lost hold of her hand. 

I was pushed right into Tara, who wrapped me into a comforting hug. 

"She said it." I said. 

"What did she say?" 

"She said the magic words." 

"I'm just going to pretend I know what that is." 

Then someone opened the door, and said something to Trinity as she walked in. 

"It took a lot of fighting to get in here." She said. 

I wiggled out of Tara's grasp and looked at her. 

"Look, Ace. I know you hate me but-" 

"Thank you for being here." I said, and I gave her a hug. 

And for the first time, it didn't fucking repulse me. 

"I'm just here because-" She started. 

"I don't need a reason. You're her closest friend. You're our family. I'm happy you're here." 

I have no idea where the hell that came from, but I guess I do need anyone I can get right now. 

And she's one of the only people who understands how close I am with Ashley. Other people know, but she understands. There's a difference. 

"You give nice hugs." She said. 

"Don't get used to it." 

"I saw that one coming."

"I'm sure you did."