Chapter 30

Ainsley's POV

I talked to Ash, updated her on what's been going on in the world. Trinity and I went on for almost a half an hour before she told us that she heard every word I said to her the whole time. 

I fell silent immediately, remembering how fucking sad some of the things I said were. 

They both just watched me quietly as I got my water bottle. 

"The only thing you didn't tell me is what everyone's saying about me." Ash said finally. 

"No, I told you. Mallory said she'd fly in after international, Tara's been here, Abby-" 

"I mean the media. They have to think its weird that we skipped out on this camp, right?" 

"Well, it was reported that you were in an accident, but I've refused to talk to anyone except the Spirit team and front office, and a few national team girls." 

"Did they say what happened?" 

Trinity pulled something up on her phone and handed to to Ashley, who read through it and silently handed it to me. 

It was recent, from today actually. 

After the reports of U.S. Women's National Team and Washington Spirit player Ashley Sanchez getting into a dangerous car accident 4 days ago, there has been almost no update on the status of the midfielder. 

Many media stations reportedly tried to get in touch with Ashley's 18-year-old younger sister and teammate, Ainsley Sanchez, but none heard back. The most recent update comes from the U.S. Women's National Team, who has had to replace both Sanchez sisters on the roster for the SheBelieves Cup, as well as their Washington Spirit teammate, forward Trinity Rodman. Neither Ainsley Sanchez nor Rodman's absence is not confirmed to be linked to the older of the Sanchez sisters, but it is a safe assumption made, especially for the younger sister. 

"God damn it." I looked up from the phone. 

"So what are you gonna do?" Trinity asked. 

"Well obviously people want updates on the status of Ash. and that's understandable. As soon as the doctors give me the full rundown of how she's even awake right now, I'll have to call the front office and ask someone to make a statement. Because I'm sure as hell not doing that shit." 

"I get it." 

"Just call the nurse in now." Said Ash. "Get it over with." 

----------

The next day, I was reluctantly at Spirit's training facility, hating that they forced me into this shit. 

This is the first time I've left the hospital in 5 days, which now that I think about it was kinda nice. I even took some time to get some touches on the ball before the stupid ass press conference. 

I went back to the locker room, let down my dirty blonde hair, put on a Spirit warm up jacket and headed outside to the table, where a million people were waiting. 

Usually I felt flattered by the presence of the cameras, but this time I couldn't let much of a smile creep onto my face no matter how hard I tried. 

"Ainsley, could we please have an update on the status of your sister please?" 

"Of course. I mean, I think that's the reason why you're all here." I said.

There was a little giggle from everyone, but it wasn't supposed to be funny. 

"Anyway, um, she is officially out of the ICU, she's awake and talking, and is making positive progress for being ready to come home. I've been with her every day,  and so has Trinity Rodman. Mainly to keep me company though." I smiled a little bit.