Chapter 31

Ainsley's POV

2 days later, my life was practically falling apart like an old shack in a tornado. The only positive thing was that Ashley was out of the ICU and was able to go home tomorrow, which means I can get back to practice. 

Every NWSL and national team fan was questioning things about us and our childhood. The clips of me trying to leave the stupid building through the crowd were circling, as well as my evil mother swinging at me. I haven't posted on social media once, nobody except the people at the hospital have seen me since I got in Trinity's car and she drove off. 

I've only talked to a few people outside of the hospital, those being Tara, Mallory, Kelley, Aubrey, and me and Ashley's agent. 

Trinity's spent every day with us after practice, which she really didn't need to do. But she did it, and my respect for her grew more and more every day. I think you can safely say we're friends and I wouldn't absolutely tear you apart.. 

I was happy that tomorrow I'd get to be done with the emotions, the sadness, the anger, the guilt, all of it. I could get back on the pitch, and my sister could finish recovering.

And I can just hope things go away, though I know they won't. 

And I am still desperately trying to figure out who let my mom out of jail, and where she is now. I'm scared to leave. Frankly, I'm just scared. 

All Trinity, Ashley and I have done today was discuss how we're gonna do come damage control and finally deal with sponsors and business with our agent. Then eventually the doctors came in and made sure one more time that Ash could actually walk, which she could. 

"Hey, at least you don't have busted lungs." I laughed when she sat down shakily. "That's not ideal for a midfielder." 

She laughed a little bit, and then stood up again. I saw her wince when the doctor accidentally brushed by a burn on her leg, which they were getting ready to cover up again. It was so ugly looking, but I'd never tell her that. She's lucky it's not too big. 

The doctor said it was gonna take about 2 weeks for her to get back to full strength, and I figured as much. They said she could probably play a little bit of soccer in a week if she feels ready, which made her face light up. That made me so happy. 

I told Trinity to go home, but she insisted on staying with us for the last night, so we were both cramming on the uncomfortable little couch along the window. 

"Y'know, Trina, you're making this really difficult for me." I said as I tried to get comfortable. 

"Sorry I'm trying to be nice." 

"You've already been nicer than you needed. You need your rest." 

"But I want to rest here." 

"Sleep on the floor." I said, trying to shove her off the couch. 

"Shut up. I'm trying to sleep." Ashley mumbled. 

"Your sister's an ass." Trinity said. 

"Ainsley be nice." 

"Don't tell me what to do." I said. 

"You sound 5 years old. Now shut up and go to sleep before I slap you." 

"It probably won't even hurt." 

"Ainsley I swear-" 

"Sorry. Sorry." I said, sitting up and resting my head on my hand. 

"Comfortable, Ace?" Smirked Trinity. 

"I would be if you didn't take up the whole couch, Trina." 

"Ya snooze ya lose."