24 | P R O T E C T

TW - sensitive subjects talked about

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter.

it's a sad one :(

-----------------------------------------

When Hotch returned to the integration room, Bailee noticed the change in his body language and facial expression. Instantly she knew they had seen the files. She didn't know how to feel. On one hand, she was happy they listened to her and did what she said to do. But on the other hand, she didn't want to be treated like a fragile doll. Hotch already said they didn't need her, so if he turned nice again would that only be for pity? She wasn't sure how to react.

"Liam Walsh" Hotch states still serious but with a slight hint of softness.

Bailee swallowed "What about him"

"We're you guys close?" Hotch observes her as he spoke.

"Not really"

"I might not be your favorite person right now, which is understandable, but I still know that your nose twitches when you lie" Hotch mumbles.

"Congratulation I'm a liar. Do you want a certificate for your findings?" Bailee claps her hands together.

"so, you and Liam were close?" Hotch asks.

"Maybe, maybe not"

"Why are you making this difficult, you use to have a smile on your face, you were so shy and friendly, how come in two weeks you've completely changed?" Hotch curiously questions.

"You really want to know!"

"Yes!"

"I finally had a family! For the first time in my miserable life, I had people who were there for me, after the bombing case you knew something was wrong and you made it a family day for the team, you let me sleep in your office, you promised that I wouldn't get any nightmare while you were there, And you think I've changed? look in the mirror Aaron."

Hotch was speechless, he knew he had changed with Foyet around, but he never thought about what the consequences of his actions would do.

Bailee sat up in the chair tears streaming down her face. "Liam was my best friend, he knew when my anxiety was high if I was going to have a panic attack or if I just needed a hug. When Sue died it destroyed him, Sue was the best woman i knew. Her death changed the full family"

"Bailee you don't have to explain" Hotch knew he hit a nerve and now the words were tumbling out her mouth and he couldn't stop her.

"You wanted the truth."

"Sue was driving me and her home from one of my counseling group sessions, it was a hit and run, the car drove straight off the bridge, a stranger pulled me out of the car first. Sue was already gone by the time they went back down for her."

"Liam couldn't handle the grief.....He pulled out the gun" Bailee zones out.

"Bailee stop" Hotch realized this was what she was talking about with Garcia the man with the gun.

"He shot himself"

"He blamed me. I was the reason Sue died. He didn't even hesitant. Lucy left shortly after everything she wanted to get away, then it was just me and the devil himself."

"Bailee" Hotch tries to cut in.

"He made rules, two glasses of water a day. A piece of bread if I did my chores, to clean the full house if he was satisfied, I was allowed to use the hot water for my showers. Everything was my fault. Sue, Liam, Lucy leaving."

"Bailee!" Hotch shouts but it did nothing, his voice was invisible to her.

"I had gotten really good at coding, hacking making money to buy myself some food. He found out what I had been doing....God he was so mad......"

"......there's a basement underneath the house my last three days were stuck down there in the pitch black, no food, no water, his special knife......a cut for each lie I told him, each time I screamed, each time I cried"

"I hacked into the pentagon, I didn't think I could do it, but I had nothing to lose, it was either die in that basement or prison. When I got through the firewall, I looked for anything that would flag up"

"Medical files" Hotch remembers.

Bailee didn't even notice Hotch pulling her into a tight hug his own tears of guilt of regret streaming down his face. "I'm so sorry Bailee, I thought by making you leave, you would be protected, away from Foyet. You've already been shot by him"

Bailee pulls herself out of the hug wiping her tears "Protection? Ever since Hailey and Jack were taken into witness protection and I transferred to a different team I wondered was it Foyet we were getting kept safe from or you?"

"Daisy" Hotch whispers will so much emotion, yet it was so quiet Bailee didn't hear him.

"It's Sue's anniversary, that's probably made him lose control. He didn't have me anymore and went for Lucy instead"

"I'm done speaking. Can I go?" Bailee asks tears filling her eyes again.

"Sure, Bailee I really am sorry" Hotch states.

"Are you?"

"I do, I will prove it to you"

Bailee gives him a sad smile "I don't have any hope left to believe you" Walking out of the room, Prentiss pulls her into the women's bathroom and locks the door. Bailee drops to the floor a sob comes from her mouth.

"Come here" Emily drops down to the floor with Bailee clinging to her. "What did I do so wrong?"

"You did nothing, Bailee" Prentiss rubs her back soothing her.

"Everything goes so wrong" Bailee cries harder "All I wanted was someone to care"

"You have me, Bailee. You have Derek, Rossi, Reid, Garcia, JJ, and even Hotch. The team changed when came along, it changed in a good way. You brought so much light into our lives, We have to work some of the hardest cases but knowing that you are going to be there makes the dreadful parts not seem so bad."

"What Hotch said was a lie. I have no clue where his head is at but for me and the others, we are so proud of how far you have come. From when you first arrived, scared of everyone to now opening up about your life. Not flitching at physical contact, that is so impressive with what your past was like."

"I don't know what to do Emily, I'm just so tired" Bailee admits.

"I know, I know, you have us now you aren't alone. Whenever you fall off the tracks, we'll always be here for you, to help and guide you because we are family, and you're stuck with us!"