Chapter 8: Awakening

Isagi ran down the field to support the defense and was running side-by-side with Kuon. 

Isagi: Kuon, but why?

Kuon: When your last-minute goal won the last game for us, it got me thinking. If we're always going to be walking a tightrope like that, the chances of this team surviving the this tournament are slim. According to the chart, our final opponent is Team V, the only team with two wins in our group. They beat team Y 8-0, but we struggled badly against them. There's no way we can beat them. So I decided to give up on winning as a team and focus on moving up alone. 

Isagi: Last time I checked, Ayanokouji is the one going up if we lose. He's our top goal scorer. Not you. 

Kuon: It's just a minor detail right now

Kuon: It's just a minor detail right now. I'll help the twins score another two goals and they can give me a freebie. With a hattrick, I'll get a higher rank and I'll go through as the goal scorer. And even if I don't do it this game, I can always do it again for next game. 

The older brother passed it right to... Kuon who controlled it. But he couldn't proceed further because Isagi blocked his way up. 

Isagi: You...! So fighting together up to now has meant nothing?! You said we'd win together!

Kuon: Thank you, Isagi, for being so gullible. 

He connected with Keiseke Wanima who was now alone against Lemon. 

Kuon: Stop being so naïve. This is Blue Lock. We don't need 'bonds' or 'teamwork.' What you need is enough ego to win. Yup. 'If you betray people to win, do it.' That's what my ego says. 

Keiseke's shot got past Lemon and now Team Z were losing. 

***Team W [4] - Team Z [3]***

Kuon smiled and waved his hand. 

Kuon: Great Work, Team Z.

Isagi: (Damn it. Damn it! Damn it!)

Raichi: I'M KILLING THAT FUCKING TRAITOR!! LET ME GO!!

Ayanokouji held him in place. 

Ayanokouji: If you charge right towards him now, you'll be sent off. And then we'll have 9 players to their 12. Relax yourself. 

On the clock, 15 minutes were left of the entire game. 

Igarashi: What are we going to do? It's 12v10 now!

Bachira laughed. 

Bachira: We're really in a deep hole now, hehehe. 

Isagi checked the ball and took it himself in the midfield. 

Isagi: We can do this-

Keiseke Wanima: Huh? Where do you think you're going you fucking idiot? Kuon told us everything about you and your little spatial awareness. By yourself you're nothing more than a twig.