Chapter 31: Taken

For the first time in his life, Kiyotaka had suffered defeat. He laid on the ground from his previous tackle which displaced Shido's shot right towards Isagi. 

Kiyotaka: (Defeat... so this is what defeat tastes like. I had been longing to prove my father wrong and thought I would relish in defeat but... it doesn't feel very good. Not very good at all... Have I really developed such an ego?)

As Isagi celebrated alongside Bachira and Hiori, Rin looked annoyed at the whole display. Kiyotaka's teammates were about to walk over to him when Shido ran through and extended his hand to Kiyotaka. 

Shido: Need a hand, rival?

Kiyotaka: Isagi was the one to defeat me, not you. So you're still on the basis of a victim. But that doesn't matter now. Thank you. 

Kiyotaka stood up as Shido smiled. 

Shido: So, how does it feel?

Kiyotaka: If you're talking about defeat, it tastes metallic and disgusting. 

Shido laughed. 

Shido: That's how it's supposed to taste. It must be awful for someone like you who's never tasted it before. 

Kiyotaka: I don't want to get use to this taste. I learned my lesson. I'll just have to get better. 

Shido: That's the spirit. Come on, best friend! Fresh barbecue is the best medicine to a loss! 

Kiyotaka sighed. 

Kiyotaka: Take the lead. This was our last match anyways. 

The pair left the field together, without even speaking towards the rest of their teammates, almost like they only needed to acknowledge each other. 

Inside the cafeteria, the two sat together as Ayanokouji put his face down on the table, not really interested in eating all that much, almost like he was mulling over the game. 

Shido: C'mon, cheer up. You got a chance to show the entire world your soccer in a couple weeks. 

Kiyotaka: I could care less about whether the world sees me or not. I just care about what I do with my own abilities. And I'll feel better over time. It's still recent. 

Shido: Well, I won't let you starve. Here. 

Forcibly putting pieces of steak into Kiyotaka's mouth, Shido started laughing. 

Shido: You can't starve yourself. You burned a ton of calories. Let me replenish them for you, hehehe. 

Kiyotaka: Fine, whatever. 

He accepted the offering of food and the two were peacefully eating until Bachira, Chigiri, Isagi, and Nagi plopped themselves at his table. 

Shido: Now this is a huge crowd. Don't ya guys have anything better to do? We're kinda busy. 

Bachira: We just came here for Kiyo. You'll let us sit down, right?

Isagi looked down at Kiyotaka who got up from the table and stretched. 

Kiyotaka: Sure, why not. It's better than hanging out with just Shido

Absolutely shocked, Shido tugged around Kiyo. 

Shido: Do you really mean that, Kiyo? 

Kiyotaka, ignoring him listened to the rest of his friends who now sat down in the same table. 

Nagi: I'll work better on my touch so I can control your pass better, Kiyotaka

Kiyotaka: It was my fault. I got too excited. At least you did good, Chigiri.