Chapter 38: Utter Chaos

***Flashback to Blue Lock Training Camp***

Kiyotaka finished another training session completely alone. He smashed the ball as it glided through the air and into the top-right hand corner.

After finishing up, his name was called through the loudspeaker. He was needed in Ego's office.

Changing into a new shirt and walking the cold and dark hallway leading up to Ego's office, Kiyotaka opened the door and entered to see a myriad of screens, microphones, statistic charts, and tablets.

Instead of Ego, it was Anri who stood before him.

Anri: I'm sorry for calling you so late in here, Kiyotaka-kun.

Kiyotaka: It doesn't matter. I was still training all the same. Where is Ego?

Anri: He's currently in the bathroom.

Kiyotaka: I see.

The air was tense, and the atmosphere was incredibly awkward to say the least. Eventually, this silence shattered with Anri bowing and apologizing to Kiyotaka.

Anri: I'm sorry. I wanted to give you a head's up and resolve that peacefully, but I didn't know it'd get so much out of hand. I know he was your friend and the two of you grew close.

Kiyotaka: You don't need to apologize. You were just doing your job. This may be for the best.

Anri: Hm?

Kiyotaka: I can't keep relying on Shido, that much is certain. Even when we're not teammates, I was still fixated on him and that's how I lost to Isagi. If the whole point of Blue Lock is to be the best striker, then I can't keep assisting a rival. Sure, I was in my feelings at first, but this is for the best.

Ego: Yes it is. One of your weaknesses will finally be addressed.

Behind the pair stood Ego who stretched his back and scratched his messy hair.

Ego: Your dependency on Ryussei Shido made you complacent and put your ego into something that won't help you in becoming the best striker. It could make you the best midfielder if you wanted too. You wanna be the next Itoshi Sae or something?

Kiyotaka: No.

Ego: Exactly. Loki told you the exact same thing, didn't he, in your match? If your number one priority is your chemical reaction with Ryusei Shido, then where does your ego come into play? This is precisely why I separated the two of you by placing you third in the rankings. Simple as that. Now, we have to discuss a premiere lineup. You'll be assisting me. Oh and Anri-chan?

Anri: Yes?

Ego: Give us the room and make us some coffee or something, errand-girl. Make yourself useful.

Anri pouted and exited the room, on her way to make coffee for her annoying boss.

Ego: Now, what do you think is Blue Lock Eleven's most ideal formation?

...

*** End of Blue Lock Training Camp***

...

*WHISTLE*

The referee blew his whistle, giving Shido a yellow card for taking off his shirt in his celebration. He didn't much retaliate to it because his entranced state broke apart once he saw Kiyotaka's eyes.

Just as Kiyotaka finally knew what he was going to do in order to turn this game around, he saw Isagi rushing over to Blue Lock's bench while Anri and Ego were in a heated discussion.