Forty Seven

Charles POV

I enjoyed my afternoon relaxing and chilling with Ruby. I did check up on Alessia at one point but when I finally found her in her study I realised she was so engrossed in her work that she didn't notice me or Ruby in the doorway. I debated interrupting her before deciding that it was important to let her be her own person for a moment and so I let her be.

I took Ruby out to the garden to try and occupy her and Dylan as well who I was beginning to realise was extremely cautious around a very layered up and curious Ruby who seemed overjoyed to have the dog back. "Dog!" Ruby says in her cute voice as I hold her steady, her little legs still not quite able to take her steps as Dylan came over to lick her face and I chuckled and stroked him, relieved that he was a lot calmer now than he was when we first arrived.

"Yes, dog - Dylan," I correct her softly as she copies me, her little hands reaching out to clumsily stroke him as we both sit down on the cold stone patio that looks out into the larger garden. It really was a lovely home, between that and learning about her cafe in Edinburgh, I was starting to feel more guilty about not being accommodating before.

But then I looked at Ruby and some of the guilt disappears. I knew I wasn't totally wrong to try and prioritise me getting time with her, I deserved it and I needed it but as I sat with Ruby in my lap and looked out around us, I knew I had gone about it the wrong way. Watching Alessia over the last few weeks, I know I could have convinced her - I was just so angry that I'd forced it. All I could do now was hope that she wouldn't hold it against me.

Eventually, Kiraz found us before Alessia did as she came and sat next to me on some of the garden furniture. "Hey, where's Lace?" She asks and I look up to the side and smile at the sight of the girl who finally seemed to have decided I wasn't the enemy after all.

"Study, I think she got a bit distracted from packing but it's fine - I already called and changed the flight to later tomorrow and I figure you'll be around to either help her pack or if she'll let me help then maybe Ruby can get some needed time with her Godmother?" I suggest with a smile, still trying to stay in her good graces and watch as Kiraz's eyes light up and she plucks Ruby from where she was sat on my lap, the little one's arms reaching for her already.

"Yes, Kiki needs some time with lil Bee doesn't she?" She asks Bee who continues with her favourite phrase. "You excited for a night in? Just the two of you?" She continues, smiling as Ruby plays with her necklaces, her little fists twisting themselves around the chains.

"Yeah... and nervous - I've never done it before..." I tell her and she looks at me shocked and confused to the point where I feel compelled to give her an explanation. "If I have her 'by myself', Alessia is always in the next room so, not really just me. It's a big moment but I think I'm ready? I have seen Alessia with her, I have watched her do it like a hundred times so I just need to do it myself. If she does have a fuss, I'll figure it out... right?" I ask her but the words were half said to myself as a light mutter and she smirks as she looks down at Ruby.

"Er... yeah, sure you are! It's that simple," She smirks and I get anxious again.

"I know it's not simple but I can't learn if Alessia always just jumps to the rescue... I want to be a good dad," I tell Kiraz stubbornly, my eyes switching to look at Dylan as I talk, leaning down to throw the ball for him, launching it down the length of the garden to distract myself but the next time I look at Kiraz her smirk has become a genuine smile as she nods in approval.

"Wanting to be a good dad means you're already a heck of a lot further than you might think," she says gently as she shifts Ruby back into my arms and I realise it's time for us to go inside. "I'm going to go and get her, you... prep yourself," she tells me, chuckling lightly at the alarm on my face before I follow her inside before letting her go ahead. I pause to let Ruby crawl around us as I try to towel off Dylan who has gotten wet outside and in the process overhear Alessia and Kiraz talking about jeans as they walk to Alessia's room. It triggers a memory of her saying something to her mum about needing more clothes but I realise there's not much I can do about any of it although it makes me sad to think that she's not seeing how crazy good she looks. It's been something I've found myself noticing on more than one occasion - it's like giving birth made her more stunning if that was even possible. Before she had been hot and ridiculously tempting... now she was so beautiful it didn't make sense. She was still hot though, especially in the mornings when she walked around in just an oversized shirt and shorts. Her hair was always still a mess and she would juggle her phone and Ruby... it was the perfect way to start every day.