Seventy Seven

"Well done champion," I whisper in Charles's ear, feeling his arms wrap tightly around my waist from the other side of the barrier as he squeezes me tightly. "I don't think the Tifosi will hate you now," I continue relieved to hear him laugh in response as he holds me for a moment longer before pulling away. He presses a kiss to my cheek as he fishes Ruby out of my arms with ease and throws her gently in the air in celebration.

"She's mine now, my trophy," he tells me as he brings her back into his embrace and I just roll my eyes but I don't object because he's so happy as he holds her and the rest of his celebrations with the team and weigh-ins are already done. "Actually, get past the barrier - I don't trust everyone around you to stay calm enough," he says, one hand going back to my waist as he looks at the growing crowd behind me with a slight frown.

He wasn't entirely wrong to be worried, the Tifosi after a Monza win... well, even I was anxious about that. I was beyond relieved that he currently had Ruby in his arms because it meant that she was at least a little bit removed from the craziness.

"I'm not allowed past the barrier and you know that," I remind him softly, resting my hand on his arm to bring his attention back to me - successfully watching him frown as his eyes meet mine and he reluctantly nods. "Are you allowed to keep her?" I ask, watching as his eyes widen and he looks around before nodding. "I think she'll be safer with you," I reaffirm as there's another shove from behind and I'm pressed against the barrier so harshly I feel the air temporarily leave my chest. I'm dazed for a moment but I do hear Charles shout in outrage.

"Hey, what the hell! Stop! Stop this! Help, can someone please help over here? Oh whatever, I don't care about the rules," is all I hear before I feel myself being lifted off the ground and this time I don't fight it as I'm brought over the barrier, feeling my feet settle on the other side, under Charles's sweaty ass arm as he looks around. "One second," he mutters before jogging over to where the interviews have been taking place, Ruby still in his arms but now hiding her face as he borrows the mic from Carlos who came third and was currently doing his interview. "La gente può stare calma, per favore? Non spingete, state calmi! Can people please stay calm? Don't push, stay calm! My family is here and you are scaring them!" Charles says to the crowd, his angry voice broadcast through the speaker system around the track, everyone hearing it.

Almost immediately, the Tifosi stop their push behind and to the right of us. It's actually impressive and even Charles seems surprised as he looks around and sees the calm. The anger that was on his face a moment before disappears slightly as he nods and hands the microphone back to Carlos and comes back towards me, Ruby wriggling in his arms a little as she looks around for me.

"I should go back," I tell him, motioning towards where Luca is standing but Ruby has very different ideas.

"Mama stay pleaaaase," Ruby asks eyes wide and I can't help but feel my heart burst a little as I look at the dimples on her cheeks, her arms firmly around her dad's neck as she rests her head on his chest happily, the pair looking like the perfect poster as they always did.

"Yeah mama, stay... pleaaase," Charles mimics and the smile on my face gives way to laughter as I shake my head and pull Ruby out of his arms to both their dismay.

"I'll stay because papa needs to go interview... go on, get out of here," I tell him, pushing his shoulder for a moment as I look behind him and see that the Sky staff are nervously trying to figure out how to bring his attention back to them. "Charles - go," I tell him, more commandingly and he grimaces before pressing a kiss to the side of my head and Ruby's as well.

"Dinner tonight and I'll go?" He tries to bargain and I look at him in shock before checking the people around us to see that they definitely need him back now. I nod, not entirely aware of what I was doing as I push him away again. I'm successful this time and he shoots me a wink while running towards the interview area while I retreat to the Ferrari staff and his mum and brother who are stood at the front as well.