3. Night with a stranger

Olivia

By the time I went back to the stand, Jamie was no more in sight. My thought wandered to Alex and his new bride. There was no slight of remorse on his face. How easy it was for him to move on. "What would you like Ma'am" the bartender spoke up. There was something in his eyes. Like he knew I was in some kind of predicament situation.

Olivia even other people can see right through your pain. Just walk out. Staying and watch your heart sank will not make you feel better. My inner voice echo. However, some part of me wants to stay and maybe drink away my pain. "Give me the strongest drink you have" I muffled out.

The bartender hesitated for a moment before nodding his head and started preparing my drink. As I waited, my mind kept going back and forth on whether I should stay or leave. But before I could make up my mind, the bartender placed the drink in front of me. I took a deep breath before downing the drink in one go. The alcohol burned my throat, but I welcomed the sensation.

I tried calling Jamie but she isn't picking up. I felt so alone there. Maybe I should have come in the first place. I should've stay at home, or go to work. I've not opened the animal clinic for like two days now. Or I can pay my grandmother a visit. Maybe it would've been better. Maybe. Just maybe, I won't have to witness seeing Alex with another woman.

"A beautiful lady like you shouldn't dwell herself with a strong drink. A wedding is going on" A voice said beside me.

A light chuckle escaped me. "A wedding?" I repeated the words sounding bitter on my tongue. The alcohol is already making its effect in my body. I poured in and gulped it down in one go.

"Who says marriage is important for two lovers? People are taking the marriage thing too serious" I let out adjusting my sitting position on the stool.

"Marriage is a beautiful thing. It brings two people together" the stranger said.

"What if you realized they're not the one for you after the marriage?" I gulped down another glass. My head had began spinning already

"Unless you didn't talk it over before the marriage. The responsibilities and the consequences. You know marriage is a lifetime commitment. We can't risk committing to the wrong person" At that moment, I turned my face to take a look at the stranger beside me. My breathing hitched as his eyes dig a hole in mine.

I realized that I didn't know this man at all. He was just a random person who happened to be sitting next to me at the bar. Embarrassment crept over me as I realized how much I had been pouring my heart out to him. How my mouth choose to blabber to a stranger. Great Olivia. Just Great.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude," I said, feeling my face flush with embarrassment.

The stranger just smiled and said, "No need to apologize, it happens to the best of us. Sometimes, it's easier to talk to a stranger than someone we know."

I took a deep breath and tried to compose myself. "You're right" it is better. Not people who break your trust.

A moment of silence suddenly fell. Only the sound of the microphone could be heard. I didn't want to turn around. It's better to drink away when Jamie comes back we leave. And that's it.

"Bride side or groom side?" He asked. Annoyance settled at the pit of my stomach. What's with him and asking question.

"Groom" I stated out.

"Why aren't you participating then?"

"What about you? Aren't you also here for the wedding?" I asked back. We once again stared at each other. I was the first to break the silence. "There's nothing to participate. I wish them a happy married life"