25. Unveiled desires

Logan

"No."

"What do you mean no? Isn't that what you came here to tell me?" She replied, shrugging her shoulders. If you ask me why I came to her clinic, I wouldn't be able to answer because I don't know either. I don't even know how we'll tackle the problem.

"This is not the right time to tell them. I'm currently working on a big project, and I don't want it to affect my work. If not-"

"Your reputation will be tarnished," she cut me off. Something flashed in her eyes—disappointment. And that somehow didn't sit well with me. I don't know why seeing her sad clenched my heart. I know it's my responsibility to take care of her as the father of the unborn baby, but at the same time, I felt the need to put a smile on her face.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like her—or harbor any feelings towards her. Maybe I'd call it pity. She has to go through the stages of pregnancy with a total stranger whom she knows nothing about. I didn't say anything and turned my focus back to the road, driving away.

As the car came to a halt in front of her clinic, she muffled out, "Thank you," and stepped out of the car. A sharp breath escaped me as I stared at her disappearing figure. What the hell is going on with you, Logan?

I headed back to the office to pick up where I left off. I was going through the reports from Liam's part of the company that was assigned to him to monitor. The percentages were reasonable for the quarterly year, but now they are dropping. With my brows quirked in confusion, I reached for the telephone and dialed Liam's number. "Can you come to my office" I said, ending the call without waiting for his response.

After a while, my office door was pushed open with Liam hot on his heels. "Hope everything is good?" he asked, taking the visitor's seat.

"Um, not really. I see something concerning in the reports from your section," I said, pushing the papers in front of him.

"The reports from January to June are reasonable. However, from September to December, they are poor. And I know those are the months the company gets a lot of sales because of the end of the year. Lastly, there are no reports for July and August," I explained, pointing out the loopholes I found in the report. Liam went silent.

"Liam, I need answers," I muffled out. He knows quite well how much effort our father put into building the company. He assigned each one of us a  part to monitor. Scott is taking care of his part reasonably, Bernard is managing the showroom we used in showcasing our products, and I'm also trying my best. But I feel like Liam is not putting much effort into his own part.

"Are you trying to say I'm not doing my job?" he broke the silence, his eyes boring into mine. "I'm trying my best to handle the business, even though I have no interest. But I had no choice, no one really cares about what I want. Not Scott, Bernard, or you," I was taken aback by his statement.

"No one is stopping you from pursuing what you want, Liam. Each one of us has a life outside of this job. But try your best to stay committed to the position you've been given. I don't want anything to go wrong," I replied, trying to defuse the situation.

Anger flashed in his eyes. "That's why you get all the spotlight alone, because you're just like father. You don't care about anyone but yourself and your ambitions."

"Mind your language," I warned,

"What? Did I strike a nerve? Maybe nobody has ever told you this before, but you only care about yourself, Logan, As for the percentage, I have no hand in them. I will try my best and give the missing report within this week. I'm out" He said, his  words hitting me hard. This wasn't the first time I had heard such accusations. Tiffany said the same thing before she left me, and even Olivia had voiced similar sentiments. And now, Liam had joined the chorus. Was I truly the selfish person they labeled me as? Can't they see the effort I put in?