29. Denial

Logan

My heart was still reeling from the aftermath of the almost-shared kiss with Olivia. If my phone hadn't interrupted us, I would have messed up. I didn't even know why I followed her in the first place. I didn't expect to see her at the restaurant. Yes, I know the place is near her clinic, but the chances of meeting her were slim. Why was I so worried about what she thought when she saw me with Julia? Julia is just a business partner that I had to meet on behalf of my client. There was nothing more to it. Why was I overthinking Olivia's perspective then? My fingers ran through my hair, ruffling them. "Logan, pull yourself together."

"How can a businessman own a phone and not pick up his calls!" Brian's loud voice resonated through the office as he kicked the door open.

I glanced at my phone. I hadn't even noticed the incoming call. "Sorry, I didn't hear it ringing," I said, withdrawing my hand from my hair and letting out a light sigh.

"Looks like your brain is currently in chaos," Brian remarked as he crashed down on the couch. I followed suit, occupying the space next to him.

"You're right. My brain is actually in chaos. Something is definitely wrong with it."

"It's Olivia, right?"

"How did you know?"

"It's pretty obvious. Work doesn't take your attention like this. It has to be something else. And my heart is telling me it has to do with Olivia. What did she do this time around?" The way Brian emphasized the last part made me want to smack him. She isn't that much of a troublemaker.

"We met at the restaurant earlier," I started, breaking the lingering silence that had fallen in the room.

Brian shot me a questioning look. "And?"

"She saw me with another woman."

"A woman?" Brian trailed off. "When did you meet a new woman?"

"This is not the time for jokes, Brian," I hissed out. "I met the woman to talk business on behalf of my client. Olivia saw us and left the restaurant. I followed her, and she lashed out on me." The next thing that followed was his laughter.

"Can you shut it or leave my office?" I threatened, clenching my jaw. Why was I even telling Brian? The best thing he's good at is laughing his ass off serious matters.

"Okay, I'm sorry. This is really funny. Why are you worried then? I mean, you were there to talk business. Why would you feel guilty?"

Right. Why should I bother when I don't even like Olivia? I'm just being paranoid over nothing. Brian is right.

"I'm not guilty. So let's drop the topic."

"You don't look convinced to me. Talking about it is the only way to relieve your heart. You have feelings for her, right?"

"No!"

Our gaze lingered on one another. My voice came out in a high pitch. "You do. And you can't tell me otherwise."

"No, I don't. Get out of my office," I gestured towards the door, but instead, he plopped his legs on the center table. "If you want me to leave, you have to be honest with me first. I have known you for years. Beating around the bush is not your portion."

"What do you mean?"

"Your feelings for Olivia. I can see it all over your face."

"Thank you, seer."

I knew if I wasted any more time talking to him, I would clearly lose my remaining cool. I stood up, adjusting my suit. "Since you don't want to leave, I will. I need some rest," I said without waiting for him to respond, and gathered my things and head out.