13. Cravings and calls

Olivia

"So you mean to tell me that you can't stay outside past 10pm?" Jamie asked after I broke the news of the rules and traditions in the Nero family.

"Yes, that's what I was told," I replied, feeling a mix of frustration and resignation. Jamie's disbelief mirrored my own sentiments. It seemed unfair and restrictive, but I knew I had to abide by these rules for the time being.

"Wow. What a tradition. But that's bullshit. You're not part of the family, so I don't see the reason why you would be included in their traditions," Jamie exclaimed, voicing the thoughts that echoed in my mind. If it were Jamie in my position, she would never agree to such limitations. And to be honest, neither would I under normal circumstances. But now, I had to prioritize my baby's well-being and make sacrifices.

"I'm part of the family and yet not part of the family," I mused, sitting up as a customer walked into the clinic. Being in a complicated situation like this required delicate balance and tact. I had to find a way to navigate these boundaries while maintaining my own sense of identity.

I attended to the patient, my mind preoccupied with the ongoing predicament. Once I finished, I returned to Jamie, who was waiting for me with curiosity in her eyes.

"So, what are you going to do now? Did you try speaking to Logan?" Jamie asked, her concern evident in her voice.

I sighed, feeling a mix of frustration and disappointment. "I don't think he's any different from the rest of them," I replied, my tone tinged with bitterness. "I told him that if he truly intends to fulfill his responsibilities, he needs to prove it because he's not doing anything. I can't just stay in a house full of strangers. I didn't ask for this child to be placed on me." Emotions welled up inside me, threatening to spill over.

Jamie reached out and gently patted my shoulder in comfort. "All of this shouldn't be something you have to shoulder alone. You should use this opportunity to assert your rights."

Confusion furrowed my brows as I tried to comprehend her words. "What rights are you talking about?"

"Your rights as the mother of his child," Jamie explained, her voice filled with determination. "You know very well that if the baby turns out to be a boy, he would be the first in line for the family's expectations. They would want an heir, especially since all the grandchildren so far are girls. This is your chance to make your voice heard."

A wave of realization washed over me. I hadn't considered the implications beyond the immediate challenges. What if the baby turned out to be a girl? Would my significance diminish in their eyes? Thoughts raced through my mind as I contemplated the possibilities.

"Even if the baby turns out to be a girl," Jamie continued, her voice filled with conviction, "You still have the right to be acknowledged as the mother, to be respected and supported. Don't let anyone diminish your role or underestimate your worth."

Her words resonated deeply within me. I had allowed myself to be overshadowed by the complexities of the situation, but now I saw an opportunity to stand up for myself and for the future of my child. It was time to claim my rights and demand the recognition I deserved.

As the day carried on, I attended to patients and went about my duties, all while the weight of my situation lingered in the back of my mind. The evening arrived, and I returned to the Nero household, feeling a mix of exhaustion and uncertainty. As I stepped through the door, I could sense the tension in the air. The atmosphere had shifted

Uncertain of how I would be received, I mumbled a brief greeting, unsure of who would respond or if anyone would acknowledge my presence at all. I began to make my way upstairs, ready to retire for the night, when Amelia's voice cut through the silence.