68. Home calls!

Olivia

"Olivia, please take a seat first," Amelia held me by the shoulder and tried to make me sit. I had given birth barely up to five hours, but the tension inside me showed no signs of calming down. Not when I knew my grandma was battling for her life in the ICU.

"I don't know, Amelia. I'm scared. What if something happens to her? I can't..." I choked on my words. Sarah joined in, and both of them placed comforting hands on my shoulder.

I had been pacing around the hallway of the ICU, waiting for the doctor to show up while I left Logan and Jamie in the room where I had been admitted with the baby.

"You shouldn't stress yourself; you're not strong. She'll be fine. The doctors are skilled, and the operation will be a success," Sarah reassured. I took a sharp breath and nodded my head, not because of anything but to ease their worry.

Thirty minutes turned into an hour before the doctor finally emerged. I rose to my feet and rushed towards him. "Doctor, how is my grandma? Is she okay?" My heart hammered in my chest as I bombarded him with questions.

"Mrs. Elizabeth is safe and sound."

"Does that mean the surgery was a success?" Amelia asked.

"Yes."

I released a sigh of relief, holding onto Amelia's wrist tightly. "Can I see her?"

"I suggest you allow her to rest. The nurses will move her back to her room. Excuse me."

"See, I told you. Now, let's go back inside. We'll check up on her later." My eyes glanced at the closed door before I allowed Amelia and Sarah to lead me to the room.

"You guys should not bother calming her down. She's still going to worry," Logan remarked the moment we stepped inside the room. I didn't miss the glare that Amelia shot at him. I had yet to make amends with him.

"Why wouldn't she be worried? Let her be," Amelia shot back.

"Don't mind him. I will deal with him later. Let all the stress subside," I muttered. They helped me to the bed.

"You heard what the doctor said, that she shouldn't stress herself, yet she ran out of the room without thinking about her condition. Even when I told her the surgery would be a success," Logan continued to express his frustration.

"And so? Is she your grandma or mine?"

"Olivia!" Sarah exclaimed, but I didn't back down.

"Do you expect me to sit and watch her die? Could you bear it if your mother was battling for her life, your only family?" I didn't know what had come over me, but suddenly I was hyperventilating.

Something flickered in Logan's eyes. "I see what this is about. No problem then. Do what you like." With that, he passed the baby to Amelia and walked out of the room. Realization hit me; maybe I had gone a bit overboard.

I ran my hands through my hair in frustration. "Why do you have to talk to him that way, Olivia? He's only worried," Jamie said, taking the seat Logan had vacated.

"Do I care!" I hissed out, folding my arms across my chest.

"Of course. He seems angry as he walked out. I don't know why I feel like sometimes you're being too hard on him. You know how sensitive talking about his mother is. Remember, he left his work to come stay with you here. You don't even know the effort he put into making sure your grandma gets the transplant done. And now you're saying you don't care. Sometimes, the little things we think won't hurt our partners are what hurts them the most."

If I say Amelia's words didn't touch me, I would be lying. I knew I had gone overboard. I shouldn't have attacked him that way. I got off the bed and slipped on my shoes. "Where are you going?" Sarah asked.