38. The cat is out

Logan

My mind had been divided between the ongoing discussion and my own thoughts. Today marked two days of my stay in Santorini, and I would say it hasn't gotten any better for me. Yes, I know I was in the wrong. I shouldn't have left without informing Olivia. I had thought it would be a one-day deal signing, but it turned out to have its own setbacks I needed to navigate to see it through.

The only thing keeping me sane was the thought of Olivia. Being away from her made me realize how much I was missing in life. It made me confront my feelings. Yes, I have fallen for Olivia. I don't know how it happened, but I know what I feel for her isn't just sympathy for the responsibility or the child growing inside her. It's more than that. I haven't felt so out of place with my emotions like I have since the day I left New York for Santorini.

I had tried calling Olivia countless times but discarded the thought. At some point, I was nervous. What could I possibly tell her when I left just like that? However, her absence around me has given me strength. To pursue her. To allow her to creep into my tainted heart. I know I'm not the perfect person out there, but for Olivia, I want to be that person she can rely on. Someone she can lean on. But for that to happen, I need to come clean. Not only about my feelings but about her rights.

I have decided I will take matters into my own hands. The first thing I will look forward to is coming clean to my family about my relationship with Olivia. Yes, I'm going to tell them everything. Whether they accept the truth or not doesn't matter. What matters is Olivia.

I exhaled deeply, almost unknowingly. Pairs of eyes were fixated on me. "It looks like we need to review the contract again before we proceed with the signing," Mr. Christopher, the director in charge of the company I was planning to make a deal with, uttered.

I leaned forward, intertwining my hands together. "We've already discussed most of the key points. I don't believe there's much left to go over. Let's finalize the deal," I said confidently.

The man nodded in agreement with my assessment before reaching for the pen. He signed his part of the contract, and I followed suit. In that moment, it felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. The deal my father had wanted was now successfully signed. My mind immediately turned to home, to Olivia. We exchanged copies of the contract, and I headed straight to the airport.

My little excitement was cut short as soon as I landed in New York; my father wanted my immediate attention at the office. I didn't take it personally; I knew he was eager to hear a briefing about everything. I would have preferred to head directly to Olivia's clinic, just to see her face, but I understood the need for patience. If I wanted everything to go smoothly, I had to be patient.

"Let's discuss that," I heard my father's voice as I pushed open the door to his office. Seated in front of him was one of the employees.

"Logan," he greeted, his face wearing a smile that I found rather unusual. It wasn't like it was my first time signing a deal from another country, so the overt praise felt odd. Nevertheless, I didn't dwell on it. I waited until the man left before fully focusing on my father.

"So, how did it go?" He asked, taking a sip of what I assumed was coffee or tea. He lived on that during work hours.

"You know your son," I replied with a smile forming on my lips. The fact was, there was no business deal I couldn't successfully navigate. My father trusted me in that regard.

"You're right. I know it went well. Good job. This is what Liam and Collins should be doing. You, Scott, and Bernard are the only ones consistently doing the right thing. I don't know what Liam wastes his time on," my father commented, bringing up Liam and Collins unexpectedly. I had a feeling one of them had done something wrong again.