62. He's sweet

Olivia

"Can we get two plates of fried shrimp!" a customer's voice echoed through the room.

"Yes! They'll be with you shortly!" I responded loudly from behind the counter, then turned to Logan, who was busy in the kitchen.

"You really shouldn't be shouting like that; it's not good for the baby," Logan chided as he skillfully prepared the shrimp.

"Well, I have to if we want to make enough money for Grandma," I retorted, earning a chuckle from Logan.

"You're something else. What does shouting have to do with making money?"

If only he knew.

"Do you have any idea how much we've made so far? You underestimate the magic of your cooking skills. Keep going," I urged, taking the two plates and heading out to serve the customers. There were still more orders to take.

When Logan and I decided to open the restaurant, we initially planned to offer just one menu, noodles, as it was the easiest option. However, to our surprise, customers started pouring in. Some were regulars who inquired about Grandma's whereabouts. I hadn't realized my grandma was practically a neighborhood celebrity.

"Hello?" The customer in front of me waved, snapping me out of my thoughts. I held his order on a plate.

"Sorry, sir, please," I mumbled as I set the plate in front of him.

"These single women nowadays have no shame getting pregnant. Then they blame society for not treating them fairly," his words struck a chord with me. I bit my lip before turning away. He had already started eating his noodles. I snatched away his bowl, taking him by surprise.

"Excuse me, sir, you should apologize," I demanded.

"What are you doing, woman!" He spat at me, a look of fury in his eyes. I didn't want to make a scene, not just yet, but it seemed the man didn't understand the implications of his words.

"I heard what you said. You should apologize," I repeated, drawing the attention of others in the restaurant.

He scoffed. "Apologize? For what reason? Did I lie? Single women like you are always fooling around with men. In the end, you'll cry and blame the man for ruining your lives. Honestly, being a housewife suits women better." He chuckled, further enraging me.

"Listen here, man, since you can't respect yourself, I see no reason to address you with respect. Women are not objects or tools for men to play with. We are all unique individuals with our own perspectives and life choices. Just because you see a pregnant woman doesn't mean she didn't follow the right path. It doesn't mean she doesn't value her life. It might—"

"Did you follow the right path?" He interrupted, cutting off my words and igniting my anger.

"Get out," Logan appeared beside me, gripping a small towel tightly in his hand, a clear sign that he was on the edge.

"And who are you to interfere?" The man's eyes scrutinized Logan from head to toe. "Ah, the cook, right?"

Things escalated quickly, and the room filled with gasps as Logan grabbed the man by the neck. "I kindly asked you to leave without causing a scene. So, if you value what's left of your life, get out of here. We don't welcome scoundrels who pursue married women and someone's daughter for their selfish desires." Logan's grip tightened, and his words shocked the man, his eyes wide with fear.

The man choked and clutched his neck when Logan released his grip. "I won't tolerate anyone insulting my wife," Logan declared, his voice ringing out for everyone to hear.