65. Grandma's blessings

Logan

"If you're not going to talk, then leave," the woman's voice cut through the silence. I took in a deep breath. I don't know why I was getting so nervous, maybe because of the look she was giving me. I hadn't felt this nervous in a while. I think even if I went for a job interview I wouldn't be this nervous.

"Grandma, first of all, I won't beat around the bush. I'll be straightforward with you," I began.

She raised an eyebrow. I continued, "You should be thankful that you've had the chance to still be alive at this stage of life. Some people your age are battling with incurable conditions. The doctor didn't say you're suffering from cancer or a deadly disease. You have a chance to stand up on your feet."

"If you're trying to preach to me, it won't work," she spat.

"Call it whatever you want, but I'm going to change your mind. You're going to get the kidney transplant. You shouldn't be selfish. You're the only family Olivia has. You saw how she cried earlier. I don't think you should even think twice before agreeing. I've promised myself that I won't let her shed tears of sadness again. I'll give her the happiness she deserves, to pay the price of her kindness."

A small smile found its way to my lips. "I don't know what your reasons are for not wanting to see me with Olivia. But I want you to know that she has become a part of me. I can't see my life moving forward without her. She has brought a lot of changes not only to my life but also to my family. I love your granddaughter so much, and I would appreciate it if you give us your blessings," I concluded, focusing my full attention on the woman.

Something flickered in her eyes, a mixture of sadness and fear. I hoped my confession would move her, not only for the blessing but also for her agreement to the transplant. I heard her exhale.

"You've left me speechless," she said, a light chuckle escaping her lips. I joined in.

But the smile on her face lasted barely two seconds when sadness clouded her face. "Olivia is my precious granddaughter. I know what she went through when her parents left her in my care. I had my reasons for reacting that way toward you. I had wanted not to tell Olivia because it would break her. However, after seeing the way you two have been around each other, the way you stood by her side, it made me realize that the truth will not change anything."

"What truth? I don't know if it's just me, but Olivia is the strongest woman I've ever seen. She deserves to know the truth. It's up to her if she can handle it or not," I voiced.

The woman's eyes suddenly welled up. "Grandma, I-" She lifted her hand, stopping me.

"I'm fine. They are tears of joy," she said. I was caught off guard when she reached for my hand. The warmth from her hand instantly enveloped me. And not only that, it reminded me of how my mother used to warm me up whenever she held my hand. I blinked my eyes to stop myself from getting emotional.

"I'm sorry for how I treated you in the past. I don't harbor any hatred towards you. And you're right. Seeing Olivia happy will make me happy too. I think she has found her happiness. For someone to go to such lengths and leave everything behind to support a woman, they truly love her. You don't have to try hard anymore. We're family," she said, rubbing her thumb on my hand. Only if she knew how soothing that was, how the gesture warmed my heart. It felt as if I was seated together with my mother.

"Does that mean you've given us your blessings?" I lifted a brow.

"Did I speak in riddles?" she retorted, making me chuckle. "Just promise me you won't make her sad. I won't hesitate to burn down your whole family's house and Nero's company." That widened my smile even more.