64. Stunt

Olivia

"Logan won't see the good side of me today," I muttered, staring at my phone. I was certain I had heard a female voice on the other end. Where could he have gone? He doesn't know many places around here.

"Cut that poor man some slack. Must he always be with you twenty-four hours a day?" Jamie hissed as she took a sip of her lemonade. We had stopped at a restaurant, and I was suddenly craving the "hungry man size" meal we had last time with Logan. I was still eating when I decided to call Logan and ask if he wanted me to order takeout for him, but that's when I heard the female voice.

"Yes! He's supposed to be. He's my husband after all," I replied, tossing her a glare. Jamie's visit had been sudden, but it came at the right time when Grandma was playing hard to get.

The way I had broken down in tears earlier had touched her deeply. I didn't understand why Grandma was being so stubborn about not wanting the kidney transplant. I had even begged the doctor to let me be her donor. I just want my grandmother to be fine. Thankfully, she hadn't directed her anger at Logan, possibly too overwhelmed by my crying. Then Jamie had burst through the door, and we both cried together.

"I don't know how Logan handles an emotional woman like you. The way you cried earlier, one would have thought you lost your baby," Jamie remarked.

"Whatever. It still won't change the fact that you like me as your best friend that way."

"I don't like you," she retorted, rubbing her palms on her stomach. "I'm damn full. This restaurant should get an award."

A smile crept onto my face. "I know, right? These are the kinds of places the government should support. Anyways, it can't beat my husband's cooking skills. Customers swarmed the restaurant earlier today."

"Really? Why doesn't Logan open a restaurant down here? I'm sure he'd be popular in no time."

"I suggested that to him too. But he said he won't have time, probably due to work and taking care of me," I emphasized the last word, tucking my hair behind my ears.

I received a glare from Jamie in return. She shook her head, clearly amused. "Are you trying to mock me? As the only single woman, you've been calling him 'my husband this'."

I chuckled at her statement. "If you're angry, go get married."

"I see this pregnancy has changed you in many ways. I will definitely get married one of these days. Just wait and see," she warned, pointing a finger at me. My laughter widened. I enjoyed pushing her buttons.

"Make me your bridesmaid."

"How can a fat pregnant woman be my bridesmaid? Nah, I don't want to spoil my wedding."

"Are you calling me fat too? You want to be like Logan. He called me a pumpkin and tomato!"

"Are you calling me fat too? You want to be like Logan. He called me pumpkin and tomato!" The next thing that followed was her laughter.

"I swear if you don't shut it I will pour this water on you." I threatened reaching for the glass. She knows very well I can do that.

"Okay, I won't laugh. But did he seriously call you that?" She asked. There was still a hint of smile on her face. "Seeing you up close you look like one." She added her eyes accessing my body.

"Jamie!" I yelled out grabbing the glass cup. Jamie jolted up and aimed for the door. "Get back here!"

I was about to pour the glass of water on her when it splashed on a different face. Logan's familiar face greeted me, his eyes shut as the water soaked into his skin.