43. Family dinner

Olivia

At first, Logan didn't like the idea of us tagging along. I mean, we weren't involved, but I felt like it's the perfect opportunity to start implementing whatever plan we have in mind, which I was about to discuss with Logan while on our way to the restaurant. I made Logan call Amelia and ask for the location. I'm sure if Amelia didn't inform the family members about our arrival, it would be a shock for them. Well, they are going to be even more shocked when they learn that Logan and I are married. Yes, I'm planning on telling them. Whether they accept it or not, it won't change my relationship with Logan.

I found myself wondering how I got the strength to stand up, not only because of Lisa and Jamie. I remembered my Grandma's words – I should do what makes me happy. And this is the first step. "I don't know why they chose to go to a restaurant so far away," a disgruntled Logan hissed out beside me.

I turned my body to face him. "I'm sure they want the best restaurant out there. There aren't that many five-star restaurants around here. So, what are your plans?" I asked, shifting the topic to our main purpose.

Logan's brows creased in confusion. "What plan?"

"You know... we're not just going there to sit like we used to eat at the house. We need to make it lively. And I plan on telling them about our marriage."

"Can you handle it?" His question struck a nerve, but I brushed it off by reaching for Logan's free hand that was resting on his lap while he drove with the other. "I have you with me. I can pull it off. I don't really mind what they think. I just want them to know everything. We can't keep hiding it from them. They should swallow the truth all at once."

"My father knows about it."

"What! How?" My voice unintentionally came out high-pitched, echoing throughout the car. The corner of Logan's lips curved up. "I told him, of course."

I blinked at him. "Seriously? What did he say?" I slumped back into my seat. A part of me had hoped that Logan's response would be that Mr. Nero was okay with our relationship.

"Like seriously? What did he say?" I blinked my eyes at him.

Logan didn't say anything. His silence spoke volumes. The conversation hadn't ended well. He let out a sharp breath, unconsciously warming my hand with his touch. The car had stopped at a traffic light. "Listen, Olivia," the way he said my name stirred up a whirlwind of emotions. His voice was soft yet heavy with mixed feelings. His eyes were locked on me, and I felt myself melting under his gentle touch.

"Um," I managed to respond.

"Know that whatever happens, I'm here for you. Don't dwell too much on my family's bitterness. Think about us."

A chuckle involuntarily escaped me at his last word. "Are you calling your family bitter?" I raised an eyebrow.

Logan's eyes darted around, an amused smile on his lips. "Well, they are bitter. Sometimes I cut Scott some slack because he's the eldest, but trust me, sometimes I have the urge to punch him. Same goes for Liam. He's always the bitter one."

I kind of liked the fact that Logan was slowly opening up to me. He might not have realized it, but hearing him talk about his brothers' behavior showed that he cared. He just wouldn't admit it. I'm here to gradually crawl into his heart and understand the life he had before. I intertwined our hands, passing him a smile. "That's why we need to take a step. I won't allow Scott or Liam to behave rudely with you. I'll be your shield."

His laughter followed, a rare sound from Logan. I think this was the second or third time he had laughed like that in my presence. It did a number on my heart. It made me want to do everything I could to bridge the gap between him and his family. "Look who's talking. Who will you shield?" he teased, his amused smile lingering even as his laughter subsided.