46. Ladies talk

Olivia

We decided to make scrambled eggs with spinach and cheese. I was in awe at the way Amelia expertly whipped up scrambled eggs with a twist. She sautéed fresh spinach in a pan until wilted and mixed it into the scrambled eggs, adding a generous sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese. Maybe if she had opted for a chef, she'd have won an award, just like Logan. A smile erupted from me as I recalled the night we cooked the shrimps and crabs together. I think that was the first day Logan and I started getting along.

"Why don't you just opt for a cooking competition? I'm sure you'd win on your first try," I said, watching how she expertly lifted up the pan.

"Should I?" she replied, her lips curving up. I nodded my head. "You will definitely win," I confessed. Sarah pushed her body in between, separating me from Amelia.

"Let me have a taste," she said, using the spoon to fetch a portion from the big casserole where Amelia had plated everything.

"This is nice," she moaned, closing her eyes in delight. I went ahead to have a taste as well, and my jaw dropped. Sarah and I shared a shocked look. "We are skilled chefs, honestly," Sarah said, licking her lips.

Amelia chuckled in return. "You guys can eat as much as you want when it's served. Let's take it out. I'm sure the family members can smell the aroma from here."

The three of us made our way to the dining area. The maid helped with the rest of the table arrangement. As expected, everyone was present, including the grandchildren, Molly and Quinn. We settled in our usual spots while the maid served the breakfast. I was eager to have a taste that I didn't notice Logan's gaze on me until I felt his hand on my thigh under the table. We were seated next to each other.

He shot me a questioning brow, and I glared at him in return. My stomach was crying out for food, and I didn't have time to answer his playful acts. The three of us ladies shared a brief look as the family took their first bite. I know it's not the first time they had tasted Amelia's or Sarah's cooking, but this time, we joined hands together. Which meant the flavors were combined. From the seasoning to how well the scrambled eggs were cooked.

"Hmm... this is good," Mrs. Nero said. "Why haven't we been getting this type of delicious food in the house?" she added. Okay, maybe the woman was exaggerating a bit. The expression on Mr. Nero's face was also that of satisfaction. That meant he enjoyed the taste of the food.

"We, the daughters-in-law, decided to join hands and make breakfast today since we haven't been following the traditional protocols lately," I answered. I expected them to brush it off like they always do. But I was rendered speechless when Bernard chimed in. The one person I have never exchanged a single word with.

"It tastes good," he said.

Sarah held him by the arm. "You should be proud your wife knows how to cook," she said with a smile. A proud smile occupied my face as well. It was indeed nice to see a little change in the atmosphere.

I felt Logan's hands intertwining with mine under the table, which made my smile widen. "Looks like someone has won a trophy today," he whispered in my ear, sending the familiar shiver of his touch down my spine. He didn't even care about the people surrounding us. He leaned closer to my ear.

"Yes, I'm happy. At least the change is positive. Unless you want it to be chaotic, then I..." I was about to withdraw my hand from his when he held it firmly.

"Stay still. I'm warming myself with your touch," he hushed out. My eyes scanned the faces of the rest. I could swear Amelia's lips curved up into a smile. She was watching our every move. The same goes for Liam, whose eyes met mine, but his expression was distant as if his mind was elsewhere.