Sorting Ceremony Part 8

I walked back over to the seat I had been sitting in before and sat down. Dumbledore looked at me curiously. He took a deep breath "I have a feeling you're not like the rest of your family." He said.

I sat up straight in my chair as Father had always taught me to, "Why is that?" I asked. I didn't think I was very different from my family. I have always heard I was just like my mother. I'm not sure how, my mother died when I was just a baby. Father never really talked about her and got angry whenever I used to ask. Tom was 5 when Mother died and Matheo was 3. They don't like to talk about it either.

"I'm not sure yet, but I can feel that we will find out soon," he said with a grin.

"Profesor?" I said, "Why are these rules actually here? And why don't some parents feel safe with us here?" I shifted in my chair. "That, we can talk about another time. It is almost time for the sorting ceremony so you should hurry along with the other first years." Dumbledore said standing up and walking around the desk.

"Yes sir," I got up and hurried out of the room and down the spiral staircase. At the bottom Severus- I mean Professor Snape was waiting for me. He led me to the big doors I assumed led to the great hall. I had always heard stories of it and how wonderful it looked on the inside.

Professor McGonagall stood in front of the doors telling us all about the different houses we could get sorted into; Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin were the house we could get sorted into.

In the group of first years, I saw Harry, Draco, Ron, a boy who was holding a toad, and a girl with dark brown bushy hair. Harry gave me an apologetic smile when he saw me looking at him and the red hair boy next to me.

After McGonagall left, Draco moved in front of Harry and was talking to him. He said something about the red-haired boy and then Harry said something back to Draco and he immediately turned red in the face. Draco walked over to me with a huff.

"Where have you been y/n?" Draco asked, acting as if the conversation with Harry hadn't even happened.

"Dumbledore wanted to talk to Tom, Matheo, and me," I said. Draco looked at me for a second, I saw that his eyes were not only grey but had a little bit of yellow-ish gold speckled all through out his eyes. When I looked into his eyes I felt butterflies almost exactly what I felt the first time I saw Harry.

"Oh, Good. I was worried about you Y/n" He said. 'Worried about me? Why would he worry about me?' I thought to myself. We looked at each other. I could feel my face start to get warm. I tried to not let myself look like a fool. 'He was only worried about me because if he wasn't Tom and Matheo would be mad at him' and suddenly the stone floor was much more interesting.

"What house do you think you'll be in?" Draco asks me. "Tom and Matho say I have to be in Slytherin, so I'm hoping for that," I say looking back up at him.

Professor McGonagall finally came back and led us into the great hall. It was better than I imagined. The girl with brown bushy hair was talking about how the ceiling was bewitched to look like the night sky. It was amazing.

All over the ceiling were floating candles. 'Do they always float or do they come down during the day' I thought to myself. As we all walked down the walkway to the sorting hat, I caught a glims of Tom and Matheo sitting next to each other at Slytherin table. They were pointing to an empty seat next to them I assumed was saved for myself.

We came to a stop in front of a dingy, old hat. The only odd thing about the hat was that it had a face. Professor McGonagall started to call names; Hannah Abbott, Susan Bones, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, and so on. After a while, Draco gets called. He walks towards the hat and hits Harry with his shoulder when he passed him.

Draco sits down and as the hat is being placed down it yells "Slytherin!". The hat hadn't even gotten to his head yet. He hopped off the stool and walked over the where my brothers were sitting, at the Slytherin table.

After a few more people, it's Harry's turn. He sits down and I see him whispering something. Finally, the sorting hat yells "Grffendore!" The table erupts with cheers as Harry walks over to his friends.

Now it's my turn. I take a deep breath and make my way to the stool. The great hall is silent, the only thing you can hear is the occasional whisper. Dumbledore and the rest of the teachers lean forward to watch better.

The hat is put on my head. "Hmm..." the sorting hat says. "Another Riddle, but you're not like your family, are you? No, you're different.". "How?" I ask. "You're brave like a Gryffindor, loyal like a Hufflepuff, intelligent and knowledgeable like a Ravenclaw, and ambitious like a Slytherin." At this points it's been around two minutes. Tom and Matheo have anxious expressions on their faces and are sitting up tall in their chairs to see me better.

'I want to be in Slytherin' I think to myself, hoping that'll make it put me in there. "You want to be a Slytherin, hmm?" The hat asks. 'Yes, yes. Please put me in Slytherin'.

Now it has been around seven minutes. You can tell the students are getting bored and restless.

"I think I know!" The sorting hat yells out. The students all stop moving and all heads are again on me and the hat. "You would be best in, Sly-" The sorting hat stops.

The students all look at each other confused. 'Has this ever happened before?' I think.

"I change my mind!" The hat yells out again. Professor Dumbledore stands up out of his chair and so do Tom and Matheo.

"You would reach your true potential in Gryffindor!" I stay seated and Professor McGonagall doesn't come to take off the hat. Everyone just stares.

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for reading. If you like this book you should check out my other book, The Potters!