Home Part 27

That night we were escorted to our rooms. I forgot how empty and bland my room was. All there was in it was a four poster bed with emerald green sheets, a vanity, a desk to do work, and a bookshelf, with all my favorite books.

Father didn't speak to us the rest of the night. We had dinner then we're sent to bed. Tom's room was right across the hall from mine, and Matteo's was next door, the the left.

I could hear banging in Tom's room, but that's how he got his anger out. I was never allowed in his room, I always assumed it was either trashed or perfectly clean.

I pulled out a black night gown and put it on, then curled up in bed with a book. I started to read when a knock came from outside my door. "Come in," I called.

Father opened the door, and gracefully made his way to my bed. He sat down on the end of it and looked at me.

"My dear daughter," he smiled. "Father," I said. "How has school been?" He asked, studying my face.

"It's been ok. Draco and I have become very close." "That's wonderful darling," he said in a tone I could tell he didn't care about what I had just said. "Darling, I have heard you found out about the Potters." I nodded slowly, "Yes, well, there is a prophecy." He swallowed and thought about his words, "It says, Neither must live, while the other one survives'" I knew what he meant right in that moment.

He has to kill Harry Potter.

I could feel my eyes start to sting. "Now that's why we need you. You need to make him vulnerable. Can you do that? For us? For our family? For me?

I couldn't think. I felt numb, but at the same time I was feeling everything you could imagine. All of a sudden the bed sheets were too heavy, the air was too stuffy, and I felt like I was about to throw up.

I couldn't hold the tears back anymore. I let them spill. Down my cheeks. Onto my chin, staining my pillows with tiny water droplets.

Father slowly reached out and wiped my tears. He moved closer and hugged me in his arms.

I forgot how unpleasant it was to be hugged before Harry had hugged me. I hated hugs because of Father. They weren't hugs. They were more of a grab. I hated it. My heart stopped and I couldn't breathe. It was like a dementors kiss but I hug form.

In a soft whisper he said "My dear, you are a weapon; and weapons don't weep."

I nodded and pulled out of the "hug". I layer back down under my blankets. He moved the hair out of my face, turned off the light and closed the door.

"Goodnight Father" I whispered, so only I could hear. The word "Father" rotted in my mouth.

At that moment I felt angry. Angrier than I was at Pansy, angrier than I was at Tom.

But I also realized in that moment that anger was better than tears,

better than grief,

better than guilt.

Matteo came in a few moments later. I had wiped my tears by then.

He sat on my bed, legs crossed. He was a child at heart. But he never got to be that child. I felt bad for him.

"What did he say?" He asked. "He said I needed to make him vulnerable. I need to find his weaknesses."

I let out a sigh. Matteo laid down next to me. He hugged me close. I liked this kind of hug.

I really couldn't keep my feelings in check today, tears started to fall without warning. No time to even try to keep them in. "This house no longer feels like home." I said, in almost a whisper.

"Yeah, I know." He said. "I felt that way when I first got back." "Does it ever go away?" I asked hopefully.

He took a long time to answer. Like he was really thinking about his answer. "No," he finally said.

"But isn't everyone's family a little fucked up?" He asked with a laugh.

"Yeah, I guess." I said back, giggling.

I knew that wasn't true but it was easier to tell myself at happy lie than face the horrible truth.