Who's the Boss? Part 20

As Matteo and I left his office, we shared a look of fear.

It was now about lunchtime and both our stomachs were growling. We walked in silence to the great hall.

"Where's Tom?" I asked, looking around. "Not sure," Matteo said, eating a bite of mashed potatoes, "Last time I saw him was this morning, in our dorm. He was up weirdly early," I gave him a look of suspicion.

Tom is known to wake up early, even on weekends. He says it's because he doesn't want to waste the day, but I think that because from the time we were little up to now, he's had to take care of us. Make sure Matteo and I got up in the mornings, did our chores and stayed out of trouble. Father never did any of those things for us.

Sometimes I wondered who did them for Tom? But whenever I did try to do something for him, he would blow up and yell.

"Yeah, I know. It was like four in the morning. He was sitting at his desk writing a letter."

'A letter?" I thought. 'To who?'

Just as I started to eat, Tom walked up behind us.

"So I heard you both got into fights?" We both jumped at the sudden voice behind us. Matteo sent potatoes across the table onto some random Slytherin girl. She just glared at him.

"S-sorry" he said, cleaning it off her with a napkin. "Hey Tom, where have you been?" I asked.

He sat down between us, making us both scoot over. "What punishments did you get" he turned to Matteo.

"I have to clean the quidditch goals." He said gloomily. A smile flashed across Tom's face. He was clearly enjoying us getting punished.

"And you?" He turned to me. "I have to learn something new," I started, Tom looked confused. "A muggle hobbie, and it's going to take up all my free time." I whined.

"Eww," Tom said. "Just so you both know,"Tom started, "We're going home for Christmas." Tom started to eat the food in front of him now.

My eyes widened, I was horrified. Matteo noticed and then realized why I was acting this way.

"Wait. What are we going to tell Father about y/n?" He asked Tom.

"Shut up!" Tom seethed, obviously our father was supposed to be dead. So we couldn't just talk about him in public.

"Could you be any louder?" Tom asked, clearly annoyed.

Tom got up and stormed out of the great hall, pushing a group of first years out of the way.

I looked at Matteo who was already stumbling to get out of his seat. We followed Tom out of the great hall and into the library.

"Tom? Are you alright?" I asked. He was sitting at a table with his face buried in his palms.

He didn't answer me. "Tom-?" Matteo asked cautiously. "Stop! Obviously I'm just perfect!" Tom seethed.

"How are we ever supposed to go back home if she isn't a Slytherin?" Tom asked. Now he was whispering.

"We could just tell Father she is?" Matteo suggested. "And how do you expect us to do that? Hmm? Are you trained in Occlumency?" Tom asked.

I could tell he was getting mad. Really mad. "No..." Matteo answered.

Matteo would fight anyone, rip them to shreds but when it came to Tom, he would rather just stay quiet.

I sat down next to him. I didn't say anything. I knew he didn't want to talk. Matteo sat down across from us.

I don't think either of them like to talk about feelings. I mean who would. It's gross and it really makes you feel vulnerable.

The atmosphere was beginning to calm down and I had grabbed a book from the shelf next to me and started to read it.