Professor McGonagall Part 18

They were all frozen with fear. Now realize what I just did. I turned around and looked at Pansy. I don't even remember doing it. I felt guilt wash over my whole body.

But I didn't want her to know that. I turned back around and started towards the other students. As I reached them they separated into two groups to let me through. They were scared, they had every right to be. I grabbed my bag and started for the castle.

But as I was about to enter, Professor McGonagall walked outside and stopped me. "Miss Riddle, where on earth are you going? She asked. She wasn't looking at me though. She was looking at the girl sobbing on her knees.

I tried to push past her but she yanked me back by my arm. "Excuse me?" Now looking at me. "You stay right here young lady," she pointed to the ground as if I were a dog.

If I were Tom or Matheo I would've just rolled my eyes and left without a second thought, but unfortunately I'm not them, I'm me. Little obedient, me. I stayed where she had told me to.

I couldn't hear what she was saying but she also told Harry to follow her and he did. I could tell he was scared, he wouldn't look at me. His eyes were glued to the ground or the back of Professor McGonagall.

As we walked quietly down the corridor all I could think about was going to detention. Tom is going to be mad. I should've just ignored her. But I didn't. I had to fight back and now she's either going to be worse to me or I'm going to lose the few friends I had.

We stopped at a classroom and professor McGonagall asked for, Wood?!

Wood? Harry and I exchanged terrified glances, was Wood a cane she was going to use on us?

But Wood turned out to be a person, a burly fifth-year boy who came out of the class looking confused.

"Follow me, you three," said Professor McGonagall, and we marched on up the corridor, Wood looking curiously at Harry and I.

"In here."

Professor McGonagall pointed them into a classroom that was empty. "Please wait out here," she said to me.

Professor McGonagall slammed the door in front me. I couldn't see them but I could hear what they were saying.

"Potter, this is Oliver Wood. Wood, I've found you a Seeker."

"Are you serious, Professor?"

"Absolutely," said Professor McGonagall crisply. "The boy's a natural. I've never seen anything like it. Was that your first time on a broomstick, Potter?"

"Yes, ma'am" Harry said.

"He caught that thing in his hand after a fifty-foot dive," Professor McGonagall told Wood. "Didn't even scratch himself. Charlie Weasley couldn't have done it." 

'Who's Charlie Weasley?' I thought to myself.

After a little bit longer they all came out looking happy and excited. Then they saw me and the two boys' facial expressions turned to confusion and Professor McGanagall's turned to annoyance.

I stood up from where I was sitting, and faced them.

"Oh right, you," she said. "Boys," she turned to Harry and Oliver, "please head back to the classes you came from," they nodded and started to walk away. She turned to me, "Ms. Riddle..." she seemed to be at a loss for words.

After a while of thinking, she let out a sigh of disapointment, "I thought you would be different from your brothers." She said in almost a pleading way.

"I'm sorry, professor." I said quietly, looking to the ground.

"I know you are, but you also have a meeting with the headmaster, so go. Hurry!" She waved me along.

"So I'm not getting detention?" I asked, astounded.

She sighed, "No, you're not. But just for this one time," she held up one finger. "Now go before you're late!"