PART 18

VALERIAS POV

PROOFREAD

It had been a week since the party and me and Junior have talked everyday since then, tomorrow he's going to have a sleepover at my house .

But today, me and Gabriella are going to tye-dye shirts and have a silly string fight for fun at her house.

Right now, I'm getting ready to ride my bike to her house, I put on a red top and a pair of soccer shorts with some running shoes.

It didn't take me that long because we live in the same neighborhood, once I got their I knocked on the door and her mother answered.

For some reason I have never actually spoken to Gabriella's mom, "Hey, is Gabriella home?" I say smiling.

I was shocked because how much Gabriella looked like her mom, they had the same nose and eyes, the only thing different was that she had curly hair unlike her mom.

Before her mom was able to greet me Gabriella grabbed me by the arm and dragged me to her backyard.

"Sorry about that," she says sitting me down, "why? Your mom seems nice," I say, "trust me, once you get to know her she is pretty mean."

I was going to question it but I didn't want to get into her family business and her problems with her family.

"Welp, let's get started!" She says and I nod, we both got our white shirts and picked out the colors we wanted.

I picked blue, green and yellow, Gabriella picked the rainbow, she wanted to do the spiral method and I wanted to do Bullseye.

"We should hang out more y'know?" Gabriella says, "we should, I love spending time with you, you're like my only friend,"

I confused look goes on her face, "you and Junior stopped being friends?" She says, then it hits me, I never told her about me and Junior.

"Oh my, I never told you me and Junior started dating?" I say shocked, "WHAT!? NO!?" She says with her eyes wide and her jaw on the floor.

"Yea, he asked me to be his girlfriend when we went to go eat, I was so nervous I literally froze in my seat," I say laughing.

"I feel like we don't talk that much anymore" Gabriella says looking down at her shirt that she's still working on.

"I feel that way too," I say, "we should make plans for next weekend," she say looking up at me.

"Yea we should!" I say agreeing with her, "when I come up with something I'll text you about my ideas.

After talking we finish our shirts and leave them to dry on her fence,  we both go inside and she makes us a snack.

After we ate we watched some tv and fell asleep, I woke up around an hour later but I didn't check on the shirts for another 30 because Gabriella would not get up.

We both went outside and our shirts were dry but we needed to put them in the washer, "hey uhh I think you should go, I don't want you to be her when I'm sleeping."

She says it with her eyes halfway open so I just leave while she goes back to sleep, once I get home I get a call from my dad.

This is only the second call I've gotten from since I got here and it's been 2 months since             then.

It's not his fault though, he is either at work or with my mom, and she can't answer because she is either doing chemotherapy or sleeping.

I answer the phone and I obviously talk first, "Hola papá, cómo está mamá?" I say, "Ella es buena, pero cómo estás?" He says.

"I'm fine," I say, "how's school?" He says, "School got out in may," I say laughing, we talk for an hour before handing the phone to my mom.

"Hola mami!" I say exited to talk to her, "hola muñeca," she says, something was off, it was her voice, she sounded weak.

I brush it off not wanting to talk about it, I'm pretty sure we talked for at least 2 hours before she handed the phone back to my dad.

"Listen, mi hija, the doctor came in a few weeks ago and told us some news," he says in a serious tone.

I start getting nervous, something bad happened, I felt it, and I already new it was about my mother.

"Your mother has less than a month to live." He says just ripping off, I feel my heart drop, I drop the phone.

I don't know what to do, I couldn't even believe it, my worst nightmare came true, that last thing I here was my dad calling out for me.

I start to sob, hysterically, like a baby, my mother, the woman who raised me, fed me, bathed me, was not going to be here anymore.

Losing a parent to cancer is one of the worst things you can experience.