Colliding paths

~

The 21 year old bounced his leg as he sat in the lobby of the therapy center. His 2 year old son sat down on his bouncing leg, giggling quietly, while his almost 5 year old son spun around himself in front of him.
No, his wife couldn't take them, not today. She was trying to smooth things over with her own family, assuming it had been enough time since her first accidental pregnancy.

"Leonardo Willow?" an administrator called out, and he held his younger son properly and stood up.

"Yes." he said while nodding quickly.
This wasn't his first therapy session, he was already well aware of the process. He looked down at his unbothered, spinning son, "Zachary, come on."

After a few more repetitions of the phrase, his son finally agreed and followed him into the therapists office. And of course he couldn't avoid disasters in there, and almost tripped on the therapists young son who seemed to be moving from her chair to the chair clients would sit on, all in just a second or two.

"Mrs. Lopez," Leonardo said, bowing his head slightly.

She smiled softly, "Yes, take a seat." she said.

"I'm uh- sorry, Agnes couldn't take the kids today." he explained, both looking and feeling guilty.

"It's completely fine." she said, voice so gentle and soothing, it calmed Leo, "I actually insisted they make a little kids area outside, if you've seen it." she smiled down at her son who was now smacking a chair at an unbelievable pace, "Angello hangs out there usually, but I was just on my lunch break so he wanted to sit in my office."

"I- I see, I'll put the kids there." he said while nodding, "Come on Zachary."

His son thankfully followed this time without any arguments, and Mrs. Lopez carefully picked up her own son and followed Leo back into the lobby.

"Zachary, just sit here- take care of your brother." Leo ordered, "I'll be back out in an hour. Please- just for the love of god, don't cause any problems, just for one hour."

His son didn't respond, instead he turned around and sat down on one of the soft and colorful mats that were on the floor of the kids area.

Mrs. Lopez also placed her son down and gave him a gentle pat on the head, Leo found it quite humorous how the 3 year old had such a serious expression on his face, as if it was his job to sit around and play.

Then Leo put James down on one of the mats, and him and Mrs. Lopez went back into her office.

She stepped in and waited for him, then she shut the door behind him.

She waited until they were both seated, before asking the simple question that Leo dreaded, "How have things been?"

Well, how have they been?
One of his older brothers, the person he trusted the most, the most gentle and kindest person he knew, the one who'd actually save the Willow name, died in a horrible fire 5 years ago.
His other brother, who'd indeed tease him a lot, but was still an incredible brother when Leonardo needed him, was insane because he'd witnessed the death of their brother, and now claimed he could talk to ghosts.
Then his mother, who just listened to his father with absolutely no disagreements, and - to put it nicely - was just there for the money.
Then what about his father? The ruthless psycho, who hadn't even blinked after hearing about his son's death, who'd half-assed the funeral, and who'd locked his insane son in a basement for a few weeks, what about him?