6. Nocturnal birds

Lyra's POV:

I had to go. As much as I would have loved to stay with him, I had to, otherwise I'd be in more trouble than I am right now.

I snuck through the crowd best I could without being noticed, after I had told my friends I'd be leaving.

I reached home, around five minutes after my father and brother.

I took off my heels and tried my best to tiptoe up the stairs.

"Father's looking for you"

Fuck

Lycan. "What does he want?" I asked

"Why you left without us? Why you weren't with us? Why you couldn't be found anywhere? Why you didn't greet the dark lord. I don't know, I'm just guessing." He said walking past me.

I knew what was coming for me.

I slowly walked into my father's study, he was sitting on the chair with his back facing me.

"You called for me father?"

"Ahh yes my dear, where were you?"

"I just returned from the ball, and was headed toward my room."

"Did you enjoy it?"

"The ball? Yes father very much."

"No. Not the ball. Disobeying me." He said and turned around to face me on his spiny chair, I've always wanted a chair like, it looks fun. It's no fair he gets one.

He's face was bruised and bandaged up in some places.

"Disobeying you? I tried to act dumb.

Bad idea.

He tilted his head and took slow steps toward me while I looked at my feet trying to avoid his gaze.

"Look. At. Me." He said lowly

I stayed silent and didn't move.

Another bad idea.

"LOOK AT ME!" He yelled

I slowly looked up and met his eyes.

I felt him slap me hard across my face. That'll leave a mark.

"Disobey me again child, and your useless little sister shall be next." He said.

"You are dismissed."

I bowed once more and left to go to my room.

I changed out of my outfit and took a nice cold shower.

I did my skincare and got in my sleepwear.

she wears this to bed.

I got in bed and closed my eyes. But I couldn't sleep. His face kept popping up in my mind.