chp. 06

SIGN THE FORM

The fourth day of living in the apartment by herself

Every night, she face-timed her parents. Searching for jobs as she was in bed. Going straight home and working on her studies. Eyes glued to the assortment of notes that laid on her desk. The emptiness of the the living room that she woke up to every morning. The silence that besieged her her lone figure.

She didn't have any classes today, so she spent her morning working at the convenience store.

It was her first day at her first part-time job in the city of Seoul. 

"Good morning. My name is Park Jihyun." The unfamiliar female smiled, putting out her hand as a signal for a handshake. Hwayoung accepted her offer quickly, their hands interlocking as she smiled back. "Here's the vest. Thank you for being my company here." 

The Park was an average-heighted female, she had medium-length dark brown hair that was tied into a high ponytail with thick bangs and a few strands of hair hanging on the side of her slim face. 

Jihyun handed over the thin, light blue vest to the Song. She slid it over her loose, gray sweatpants and a beige top.

"Hi. I'm Song Hwayoung. I will work hard." She greeted, bowing slightly as she announced her name. 

The convenience store was pretty small in size - this meant that it was only two to three workers per shift, but it was close enough to Hwayoung's apartment for her to just walk down the street. This wasn't the female's first time working at a convenience store, she has loads of experience working in this type of industry - mainly from back in the outer side of Seoul. 

"I will be in charge of restocking and you will be in charge of the cashier. We will switch each week." Jihyun informed, her eyes creasing as she smiled. She made Hwayoung feel welcomed accepted. 

Soon after, the two got back to their jobs, doing their assigned roles in the place. 

The Song made sure to greet and smile at every customer that entered and exited the store; displaying her respectful etiquette. Her co-worker did the same, ensuring to help anyone that required assistance with their shopping.

15:00

Hwayoung's shift ended. It was time for her to swap with another worker that had seemed to arrive late.

She stayed at the counter until the worker that was supposed to replace her came in.

"Sorry! Sorry!" A tall female apologised, running into the store and taking her bag off. She had short, blonde hair with wispy bangs and a prominent beauty mark on the corner of her eye. She was wearing a pair of washed, blue jeans and a black crop top. 

"Goeun! You're late again." Jihyun scolded playfully while reorganising the condiments on the shelf. Hwayoung's eyes roamed around the area, assuming that the two were close. 

"This is Song Hwayoung. Hwayoung, this is Jeong Goeun. She'll replace you every Tuesday after your shift." The Park enlightened the rookie female.

Goeun slid on the light blue vest that Hwayoung was previously wearing through her tanned arms.

"Hi Hwayoung." She smiled, "I'm sorry for being late. You can go now." She apologised again. 

"No, it's fine. I'll be off now!" The shorter female announced as she hooked her white tote bag onto her right shoulder, bidding goodbye to the friendly girls and then leaving the store through the glass exits.

While walking back to her apartment, she viewed the streets of her neighbourhood.

Watching the many younger students in their school uniforms laughing with their friends, reminding her of her blooming self.

When she reached her unit, she found the person who she assumed to be the landlord of the apartment, standing outside her door.

This quite panicked the female. What if she's getting kicked out, right after moving in? 

"Good evening, Ms Song. There is someone who would like to move into this unit by tomorrow. If that is okay with you, please sign this form." The male handed over a thin piece of paper with the contents printed onto it, along with a black pen.

Hwayoung had no idea what to reply with. Instinctively, she simply took the paper and signed it.

She had no idea who were roommate was going to be - and tomorrow? But either way, the female was afraid that if she didn't sign it, she would have gotten kicked out. 

The landlord thanked the shorter female before bowing goodbye as he left quickly towards the elevator. 

Hwayoung bowed back, pulling out her keys from her bag and unlocking the door.

It could be nice to have a roommate.  She assumed, her eyes dragging over the lonesome apartment that was near empty. After dropping her tote bag onto the floor of her room, she headed towards the kitchen and opened the fridge.

She viewed the contents of the fridge, scanning over the very few and lacking ingredients. 

"I need to go grocery shopping again." She whispered to herself, eyes dragging over the rest of the kitchen.

As she resulted in cooking bibimbap, she pulled out the required materials needed to cook this dish and scattered the over the kitchen island. Tying her hair back into a messy bun as a habit and tucking her side bangs behind her ears, she began cooking with a recipe in mind. 

Hwayoung would always enjoy her mother's meals that she made for her everyday - sometimes allowing the female to assist her in cooking. As if it was inherited, the Song also loved cooking the same dishes that her mother taught her, the taste matching each others.

 As if it was inherited, the Song also loved cooking the same dishes that her mother taught her, the taste matching each others

Who is the roommate going to be? 🧐 quick note that this is inspired by hot era Jeonghan