A game of telephone

Tay stood by the door tapping her foot waiting for her brothers.

"Guys, come on. We're gonna be late for school!" She yelled through the house.

They both came walking over calmly. Tay rolled her eyes as they walked out of the house. 

That night Tay came down stairs looking around for Maddie and not finding her.

"Mom?" Tay called 

She walked outside seeing Maddie on the porch sitting down looking out.

"Hey... what's wrong?" Tay asked walking over sitting down beside.

"Nothing." Maddie looked down at her lap.

"Come on, what's wrong. I'm gonna stop till you tell me." Tay told her and Maddie blew out a breath. 

"Cal's ex, Vicky wants to meet us, cause she's in town. So were gonna go have dinner with her and her partner." Maddie explained.

"Why didn't you just say no?" Tay asked.

"Well, you don't know what Vicky's like. There's no saying no." Maddie told her shaking her head looking down at her watch.

"I've got to go. See you in a bit, sweetheart." Maddie kissed the top of her head and walked inside grabbing her keys before getting in the car and leaving. 

Tay ran through the school making her way out into the school yard. As she ran over Kyle stepped down from the bench.

"I'm late. I'm always late. I'm sorry guys." Tay spoke bending over breathing heavily.

"Your on time to walk home with us." Ty told her and everyone started to leave. Tay followed after Ty and Kyle.

That night

The pitching machine shot a ball towards Tay and she stuck her bat out hitting it. She watched it hit the ground right where a foul would be.

"ugh." She groaned gripping her bat harder waiting for the machine to spit another ball at her.

It shot out towards her and she stuck her bat out hitting it again only for it to be another foul.

"your hitting to late. Almost as if your not actually here, mentally. Like you've got something else going in that crazy head of yours." She heard and turned around to see Cal stood behind the tall gate.

"Hey." She said before turning back waiting for another ball to fly towards her. 

"What's going on?" Cal asked walking into the dug out as the ball flew at her and she hit it. It flew just slightly out of a foul.

"Nothing." Tay told him as he walked onto the field walking towards the pitching machine. 

It spit another ball and she hit it watching as it kept hitting the same spot.

"Then why are you out here?" He asked hitting the switch on the machine making it stop.

"Just thought I'd get a jump start on baseball practice." Tay said as she set her bat down and leaned it against the fence.

"Hmm....so what's wrong?" Cal asked making it clear he wasn't giving up anytime soon as he emptied the baseballs into the bag.

"I... don't really know. There's something eating at me. But I have no clue what it is. Maybe it's just everything that's been happening. I mean just in the pass year and a half lots has happened. My arm starting hurting again. I kinda figured it was because I haven't been doing anything. Haven't been catching, haven't been hitting, haven't been throwing. Just need to start exercising it again." Tay shrugged as they sat down on the bench in the dug out.