67. Spectacle

"Enti zay el amar."

You are like the moon.

Although it sounded unconventional, it was perhaps the most heartwarming compliment she had received in a long time. It reminded her of the only person she longed to spend more time with on this earth.

Her cheeks blushed at the praise, facing her beloved friend as she helped her zip up the back of her dress.

The Queen shook her head with a shy laugh, and a youthful smile graced her glossy lips. The older woman reached out to smooth any stray strands of her long, sleek black hair, her expression filled with pure affection.

"My mother used to say that to me all the time," the younger woman acknowledged, causing Salma's smile to reach her eyes. "I always thought it was silly and untrue, but now I would give anything to hear her say it again."

There was some more perfecting of her state, and then a gentle hand cupped her chin in a motherly way.

"Indeed, she did. I know I can never compare to our magnificent queen, but as long as I am alive, I promise you that I will never let a day go by without telling you how beautiful you are. I will always be by your side, no matter how far you choose to go. You know this, right?"

Jana could only nod in agreement, memories of their few intimate moments flooding her mind.

"Teta," she softly uttered in Arabic, permitting the woman to fuss over the final touches of her meticulously crafted appearance, "I have missed you dearly. The absence has been burdensome, but you, Teta Salma, have been the closest semblance of a mother's love I could find."

Tonight was her charity gala, the very event that required both of the Alarie men to be cordial for.

No one in the world could ever replace her mother's love, but Teta Salma was the closest she could find.

She cleared her throat, a tinge of remorse etching onto her countenance. "and I do acknowledge that I haven't visited frequently in recent years. It's just that you witnessed the suffocating grip my father had on me. I couldn't bear the thought of coming back here under his influence. But I want you to know that not a single day went by without me thinking of you and praying for you. I hope you are not too hurt by my lack of contact."

A resounding tutting sound reverberated through the air. "Nonsense! Do not utter such foolishness in my presence! I am overjoyed that you refrained from contacting anyone here during your absence. The knowledge that you were far from that monster was enough to assure me of your happiness and safety."

Salma's voice was filled with conviction and love. Jana couldn't help but feel a surge of gratitude for the woman who had been her pillar of support all these years.

She reached out and held Salma's hand, squeezing it gently.

"Thank you, Teta. Your words mean the world to me," she said, her voice filled with emotion. "I am so grateful to have you in my life. Your love and guidance have kept me strong, even in the darkest of times."

The woman smiled warmly, her eyes shining with pride. "You have always been a source of light, my love. Your strength and resilience inspire me every day. I am honored to be a part of your life, and I will continue to support you in any way I can."

As they stood there, embracing the moment of love and understanding, she felt a sense of peace wash over her.

The weight of her past seemed lighter, knowing that she had Teta Salma by her side.

She knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, she would face them with courage and grace, just like the moon shining bright in the night sky.

With a renewed sense of purpose, Jana took a deep breath and looked at herself in the mirror.