Chapter 1 - As Normal as It Was Before

My face was pushed on the window of the train carriage. The glass was cold and wet from the condensation of my exhale and I looked at the greenery running past my eyes in a blur. I hadn't slept for months after leaving back to the muffle orphanage in London. 

It was strange to be back to a place where there was no magic. After Professor Fig's death, Professor Weasley had arranged a muggle appropriate letter to the orphanage to inform them that I would be taking my leave again for September to attend boarding school for gifted students. 

That did not help my social currency in the place as now I was quite popular to bullying, hearing "posh twat"  in passing on the daily.

But I was finally coming back at Hogwarts for the 6th year of studies.

The train horn rang and it slowed down at its final station - Hogsmeade.

As I left the train, I noticed a blonde haired boy across the platform with two towering adults

Ominis. 

Was that his parents?

I put on my coat and continued to walk to him, aware that this might be a horrible mistake. 

"Ominis?" I called out to him as I approached him. 

"L-Lilith? What are you..." Ominis was taken aback by my presence. 

Perhaps this was not a good idea.

"I believe introductions are in order Ominis," a deep voice came from the man with a black coat and a cane that had the head of a snake.

"Of course," Ominis said lowering his head. "Lilith. These are my parents  Mrs Anactha and Sir Marvolo Gaunt. This is Lilith Natrix Voidroe," he said curtly and nervous. 

"Why you must be the mysterious new 5th year student from last year!" Ominis' mother sang out. "I remember Phineas mentioning your name."

She had long almost white hair braided tightly into a braid that rested slunked over her shoulders. She had light grey eyes and was wearing a long black dress with a snake crest on her chest. 

She was a spitting image of Ominis. 

"Of course," Mr Gaunt echoed his voice now fully turned to me. "How did you find your time at Hogwarts? I heard there was... a lot of excitement during your year," he asked suspiciously. 

"Not a dull moment I must admit," I tried answering him, nervous of what he wanted me to reveal. 

"Of course," he smiled annoyed, realising I was not going to divulge anything beyond expected small pleasantries. 

"Our carriage is here, I believe it is time to bid our goodbyes," Ominis carefully interjected wanting to leave

"Another year! I close my eyes and yet remember when we had sent our dear small Ominis away on a boat, praying he doesn't fall and noiselessly drown to the bottom before he made it through the doors. My helpless bird," Mrs Gaunt chirped brutally. "Lilith dear, you are welcome to our manor during the holiday seasons."

"Of course. Especially in light of your.... predicament," Mr Gaunt smiled, both apparently knowing I had no family of my own. "Although Ominis had insisted to stay in the castle for the most of the term due to the upcoming O.W.L.S. No such issue this year," Mr Gaunt's smile turned into a sneer. 

"I thank you for your consideration," I reservedly replied, careful to play their game right.

"Farewell," Mrs Gaunt turned to Ominis and placed her hand on his shoulder. I saw him gently startle from her touch and her eyes revealed a flicker of annoyance at him. "We shall see each other soon," she smiled at me.