Chapter 20 - How the Mighty Have Fallen

It was the day of the rematch. 

After a meager breakfast of half a scone and tea I was on the pitch with Imelda and our team. Sebastian had given me a shirt nod when he saw me but we wouldn't exchange words. 

"Good luck out there," Garreth had come up to me and winked before taking position on the opposite side. 

"Students and staff, welcome back to the rematch between Slytherin and Gryffindor. I would like to remind everyone of the rules of a Quidditch friendly. This is an informal game to get us back into the spirit and practice of Quidditch. Aggressive manoeuvres will not be tolerated," Madam Kogawa spoke, serving as a barrier between the two teams. 

Imelda looked over me quickly but returned to focus on Madam Kogawa. 

My mind drifted to everything that had happened in the two weeks. It was the end of the second week back to Hogwarts yet I had the feeling that summer was never there to have served as an interruption. I zoned out when I suddenly heard Madam Kogawa's countdown.

"2,

1.

Let the rematch begin!"

I blinked and everyone was in the air starting the game. I didn't notice even where the Snitch had shot to. 

"LILITH GO," Imelda screamed, flying to throw the Quaffle to Violet.

I jumped over my broom and followed after the Gryffindor seeker who was doing a sharp turn around the spectator tower.

I flew in the opposite direction of her around the towers as the Snitch shot past my ears followed by a Bludger that I ducked away from the last minute. I looked and saw a Gryffindor Beater stare angrily at me. 

It didn't seem everyone respected Garreth's decision for a rematch and Madam Kogawa's reminder for no aggression. 

I flew after the Snitch that headed to the direction of the castle. 

As I flew off I heard the announcement, "10 POINTS FOR GRYFFINDOR. GO NELLIE OGGSPIRE!"

I flew to to the castle, being knocked into by the young Gryffindor seeker. I slipped but straightened myself up and took a sharp dive to get out of her way as I turned the corner through the stone bridge arch. As I exited I flew upwards making it front of the Gryffindor Seeker and the Snitch. It was right in front of me but as I stretched my hand I couldn't reach it. As if sensing my proximity, the Snitch responded taking a sharp left dive and I followed suit. 

I felt like I was being thrown around. 

After what felt forever of chasing the golden wings, we had made our way back to the stadium. The Snitch had seemed to take direct ascension and I put all of my weight to fly almost vertically up to it. I needed another few inches to reach it and as I stood up, my knees wrapping around the handles of the broom, I reached both of my free hands. As I brushed my fingers against the close, I felt a huge hit against reverberate the broom. I shot up and grabbed the Snitch only to realise I was rapidly falling multiple hundred feet to the ground. 

The clouds divided and I heard screams.

 Everything turned black.

_____

I was incredibly cold and didn't feel my body. It was though I was drowning in a dark lake. 

I was trying to swim up but with each stroke I felt being pulled deeper down. 

"lilith"

I heard distant murmur and my name but I grew colder and colder. I closed my eyes and stopped fighting. I was sinking to the bottom when suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my back.