Chapter 35 - Too Foul, Too Evil

Herpo the Foul. Ancient Greece.

I needed to find out what he had done. What Sebastian wanted to do. 

I breathed deeply as I once again was walking up the stairs. I had no time to go the library, especially as it was the middle of the day, which meant I could never make it to the Restricted section without Scribner noticing. 

Think Lilith. 

I started running to the North Hall.

_____

"Huh? A student? Is it time for class already? Ah, the time escapes me..." Professor Binns awoke from me opening the door. 

"Professor Binns could you please tell me about Herpo the Foul?" I interrupted him. 

"Eh? Ah. Ancient Greece. Well in starting it would be great to accustom yourself with the Cycladic civilization. A society of peoples who survived in small thousands, mostly muggle fishing communities, no more tha..."

"Professor Binns what was Herpo the Foul known for?" I once again interrupted him. 

"Oh well, it depends which scholar you ask. But you should not worry with such trivialities, that is only an elective class subject, and the curriculum does not even concern it. I would much more recommend the workings of Hercule the Great, during the..."

"Professor Binns" I interrupted louder with less patient, "From a general academic enquiry, please, what was Herpo the Foul known for?" I asked the last time. 

"Well. Well he was known by many things. Many evil things that garnered his name. For starters, as a Slytherin student, you would perhaps be interested in knowing he was the first ever known Parseltongue. He was the first to breed a Basilisk, the same beast that was a close confidant of Salazar Slytherin. He was a practitioner of the earliest vile Dark magic and curses." 

He was just another Dark magician. Was this just something he had found last year?

"Oh and of course the belief of him being the first ever to achieve immortality," he finished.

My heart sunk, my breath was gone and I knew. 

"How?" I blurted, grabbing the side of the desk to stabilise myself. 

Nothing regarding the cheating of Death and the involvement Dark Magic was straight forward. There was something huge at stake. 

"Miss Natrix, it is particularly dark magic that I do not see appropriate explaining," Professor Binns for the first time ever had refused to answer a question. "There is no relevant need for an academic enquiry regarding it."

"Thank you Professor," I mustered, turning to run out of the door. 

"Miss Natrix, I would like to ask you the reason behind these questions," Professor Binns asked seriously.

"Confusion," I responded not even turning back to him. 

I was out of the door and I ran to the Great Entrance. I needed air. 

Sebastian had not given up at all. He was trying to save Anne and he had lied to everyone. He had lied to me and bided his time for some time alone.

The previous fear was replaced by anger. 

I needed to find him now. 

____

I had skipped all classes running around the castle trying to find him until the time came for Herbology.