Chapter 42 - Birds of Prey

I had nausea rise into my throat and my chest was burning, desperate to swallow air. 

A faculty member? A teacher in this school had made an attempt on my life? At a Quidditch game? 

This was absurd. 

"This is absurd Aesop," Madam Kogawa lowered her voice to him. 

"If Dinah believes that this ," Sharp picked up the base of the broom where the base was burnt off, "is done by advanced magic, I am inclined to believe her. One must not risk to have tunnel vision."

I feared they could here my body trembling from anxiety. 

"To make an attempt on a student's life..." Kogawa was in disbelief. "What could have ever been the motivation?"

"She is not just an ordinary student. Miss Natrix has extraordinary powers that could put others in the Wizarding world at risk. Whether it is from a point of safety or power," Sharp returned the broom piece to the table. 

"She is just a 16 year old girl," Madam Kogawa exasperated, starring down at the broom. 

"She is only a 16 year old girl for so long," Sharp sighed. "Her power is most likely to grow with her."

My body tensed and I was shaking even more, thinking it was not even possible to feel more anxious and scared. 

"What will we do Aesop?" Kogawa finally asked, gathering herself.

"I shall have a private conversation with Dinah. But I believe we should keep this information between us."

I squeezed my eyes closed. 

_______

After what felt for hours, I opened my eyes for the office to be pitch black, both Professors gone. 

I had no idea what time it was, nor how long I had been there. 

I slowly stood up feeling my knees sore from being bent on the floor for so long ,my first few steps done with a limp.  

I made my way back to the Slytherin common room with Floo powder. 

_____

The snake slithered across and I opened the door to see the common room dark. 

I glanced at the big clock decorating the wall of the room and saw it was well past curfew. 

It was almost midnight. 

The time in the office felt like a blackout. Like a bad dream. And perhaps I would have considered that to be reality if it was not for my still aching knees.

I made it to my dormitory room and went inside. 

Everyone including Imelda was asleep. 

I was not in the state to disclose anything. 

I collapsed in bed and did not bother changing, closing my eyes, hoping I could as easily loose into sleep as I had before, but I stayed awake for hours, tossing and turning. 

It could not be a faculty member. The same people who stood by me when I fought Ranrok? Or who else? The groundskeeper Mr Mooney? I had basically done his bidding for him. He did not know I possessed Ancient Magic. 

Professor Black? The Headmaster? He never had much affinity towards me, but he did have any to anyone.

Perhaps it was a student all along and Professor Sharp and Professor Hecat were wrong. 

A former Unspeakable and Auror could be wrong. 

I squeezed my eyes harder shut but could not muster an ounce of sleep.